A Soft Side (5)

Pain enveloped the girl's body as she laid in the hospital bed, groaning while coming to. Her eyes slowly opened and squinted at the light, which nearly blinded her. She groaned again and opened her eyes fully to see the white ceiling.

Where am I?

"Glad to see you awake. You've been out for a while."

(Y/N) sat up slowly and turned her head to see Tony beside her bed, relaxed in a chair. He had a concerned gaze which was locked on her, and she shook her head slowly.

Then, everything came back. Nat taking her down with some sort of taser while accusing her of being a criminal, and Peter was there, and believed every word.

"Where's Nat?" She questioned bitterly, and Tony pursed his lips for a moment before replying, "Back on base, in the private hospital."

"What happened to her?"

"She. . . after she said some things about you and shot you down, Peter kinda lunged. He got in a few good hits before she started fighting back. Both are in not good conditions."

The girl stayed silent, looking down at her lap. Why would Peter defend her if he believed Nat in the first place?

She sighed and put her head in her hands, squeezing her eyes shut, "When are you gonna bring me back to that prison."

The man just stared her body down, wondering what was zooming through her mind this time. She was rubbing her eyes while being hunched over, her head slightly shaking. He felt bad for what she was going through, and he was determined to end that once and for all.

"You're not going back."

Her head snapped up as her widened eyes landed on him. "What?" She asked softly, her hands slowly going back down to her sides in surprise. Her breath was caught in her throat, her heart had stopped beating. He's setting me free?

"You're staying with me, I'm going to adopt you, (Y/N). I can see the good in you, and just how much you want to express it. I'm not going to put you back in there."

All the girl could do was stare at him with her jaw practically touching the floor. Her eyes were nearly bulging out of their sockets, the pearls so focused on the man before her. The man who has given her a second chance at life. The man who had already loved her like a daughter he never had. The man who saved her.

(Y/N) swung her legs over and to the floor and hopped up from the bed. They felt like jello at first, and she swayed for a second before finding her balance. With that, she walked over to Tony and grabbed him, pulling him close. She wrapped her arms around his waist and stuffed her face into his chest, clinging onto him. He hugged back equally hard with a smile, glad she was fond of the idea.

Soon he pulled back and put his hands on her shoulders and bent down to her level, saying, "We're in Stark Tower, your new home. Everyone else is at the Avengers Tower, which is north of here, Queens. Get some rest, and I'll handle Natasha."

"Wait!" She spurred, grabbing onto his jacket to keep him from moving farther away from her. He turned back to her with questioning eyes.

"Will Peter visit?"

Tony's distant dark eyes gave her the answer, and she let go of the jacket, turning around and walking back to her bed. She hopped up on it, legs dangling, "I guess I didn't really expect him to, anyway. Sorry for holding you up."

The man left without a word and strutted out of her room, not looking back. He walked down three flights of stairs and reached his living room, where the television was on a low volume. Peter was sprawled out across three couches, watching the documentary about spiders. ( b-bleach ) The boy sat up once he heard footsteps, and his heart stopped beating for a moment.

Peter had a bruise right under his left eye and at least five circling his torso. His hair was disheveled, and his left wrist was in a white cast.

"She's awake." Tony stated, walking over to him and standing a few feet away, crossing his arms tightly over his chest.

Peter's eyes lightened significantly when he heard the news and sat up a little straighter, brushing the dust off of his shirt. He stood up and began to walk, but Tony shifted and towered in front of him, blocking his path.

"And where do you think you're going?" He asked in a threatening voice. He was determined to make things right between the two, right here and right now. The boy pursed his lips for a moment before answering, "Aunt May's."

"And how do you think she'll react when she sees you in a cast? I called her already and told her that you're not back from Berlin yet."

Peter looked down and at his feet awkwardly, begging for the conversation to be over and for him to be let free.

"Yes, she killed those people, but that was because they pumped so much power into her at once and she didn't know how to stop. They were the bad people, anyway, she killed no one innocent. The second after, she came to me and begged to be locked up for her actions. You didn't bother to ask her side of the story, Peter, because it's sure as hell not that it looks like. She's in there asking if you're going to visit, and instead of doing that, you're running away from her!"

Peter looked to the side and closed his eyes for a moment as the man paused. "If I couldn't protect her from that fall on the battlefield, what makes you think I can protect her from anything? We need to not be friends, because, I'll admit it, I have feelings for her! I don't care about her backstory because she's not the person who she used to be! I care about her now, and I. . ." The boy looked down at his cast and bruises and sighed, "I can't see her get hurt again. It was my fault, I couldn't catch her in time."

Tony rubbed his eyes and then said quietly, "But what if there's no one to catch her?"