- One -

The government had gone to shit. 

But Renjun couldn't say anything about that. He wasn't born when that happened. So he was born and raised in such a controlling society. He had learned about how, and when it happened, but he couldn't see why the older generations were so upset. He couldn't exactly put an emotional connection to the new rules and confinements. He ate what he was allowed, and followed the rules. Isn't that what he's supposed to do?

He hadn't met his mother or father after he was born. He could only imagine, but he could never see their faces. But he was certain they were in a better place now. Working for a rationings office, or helping another school with the education system. That's what he wanted to think, what the government wanted him to think, and so he did. Who was he to question, but a small student not quite a voice in their society?

So he woke up every morning, dressing the same way, walking the same path, and learning the same way he was to do every day. He had no other plans. So he always spent his time studying, learning, to make sure he could become a better person for his future position in society.

This morning was no different. 

He put on his plain, dark grey pants, without pockets of course, and a slightly lighter grey button-up shirt. Taking his plain grey tie, he quickly tied it using his reflection in a small mirror hanging from his grey wall. He went to the small bathroom and brushed his teeth, and soon finishing. 

He left the house with nothing on him. 

Quickly exiting his door, making sure not to leave it open for too long, or else the alarm would activate and the authorities would come racing up the stairs, he headed towards the small staircase. 

Everything was grey.

The clothes he wore, the walls that surrounded him, the bed he slept on, to the "trees" outside. 

This was the government's way of "controlling the environment."

Again Renjun could not say anything, as he had never been shown the Outside. Never seeing a live plant, the air being supplied by thick metal shafts that were attached to the large cylinders Renjun liked to call "trees," because those were what were closest to trees in his world. 

Stepping outside, he took a deep breath, starting on the path to his school. Buses were no longer allowed on the Inside, due to potential life endangering pollution, so the population was left to walk wherever they needed, although there wasn't many places one could go to. The only "activities" allowed to the population were located in the "Square." The Square consisted of about 7 to 8 buildings. About three schools, a Rationing Office, a Police station, a Bank, an abandoned factory just slightly away from the rest, and maybe a "government" building. The schools were on the end of "town" so students had to walk just a little further than all of those who were no longer in school. Renjun envied them just a little, but pushed the emotion down. He needed to be prepared to imput.

Almost to the school, his pulled his sleeve up. This held a barcode that was placed at birth that was barely visible, but just enough to scan. This is what the People used to ensure attendance. If you were absent even one time, they put you in the Chamber. Renjun had never been in the Chamber, but had heard from a classmate named Chenle, that it was beautiful and enlightening. 

Renjun was terrified of it. 

Why?

Because he hated change. His lifetime of nothing but routines had been engraved into his being.

The time that he woke up in the morning.

The clothes he wore.

The amount of time of imputing information.