- Thirty One -

Renjun knew that both Jaehyun and Taeyong said that the trip was difficult, but he didn't think that it'd be that difficult.

They had made it past the border, passing quickly through the protective shell that surrounded the Inside. Then they were greeted with a light gust of air, and they scene they witnessed made all of their breaths go away.

It was the beginning of a sunrise, the light casting beautiful pinks and deep purples of the remaining night time still fighting to hold the world. They had never seen such a sight, and they stood there, trying to memorize the scenery, before Taeyong smiled, and told them that they could see the sight every day, but they really needed to go.

They all recaught themselves, hurrying after the two men walking without them.

The grass was soft, and the land they were on seemed to dip into a dark green forest, trees everywhere.

"Are these trees?" Renjun asked as they walked into the forest, feeling the green needles on the tree, memorizing the texture and color.

Taeyong looked at Renjun with slight amusement, and so did Jaehyun who looked at the younger boy with a slightly confused face.

"Uh, yeah?" Jaehyun answered, still slightly confused at the question.

"Yes, they are Renjun. We sometimes forget that you guys haven't been Outside before," Taeyong said after Jaehyun was met with a long silence from the younger.

Renjun nodded, and they continued, the others fascinated at the sights around them.

They continued for hours, going through the forest, until they reached the Cliffs.

Jisung looked at the seemingly overbearing amount of rock in front of him, absolutely clueless as to how they were supposed to even start to think about defeating this giant.

"Uh?"

Taeyong smiled, not having to hear the younger boy say any words.

"You can do it, Jisung. We'll help you," Taeyong said, answering Jisung's doubts.

Jisung's eyes widen, staring at the older in complete shock as the others looked in between the two, then finally realizing what had happened.

Renjun smiled, and tried to keep in a laugh, as Jisung turned to him, hearing his muffled laughs.

"You knew?" he said, eyes wider than ever, pointing an accusing finger at the older boy.

Renjun nodded, making all of the others look immediately at him, as the boy still tried to stop laughing, the joyous sound making the mood lift.

Taeyong and Jaehyun looked at Renjun with warm smiles, glad that he was able to lower the tension of the boys, and they were grateful as well.

Before anyone else could make anymore distractions, Taeyong and Jaehyun helped the boys climb the rock, lifting their feet to get them over the first step.

Then Jaehyun pulled himself up the rock, toned muscles doing the action with no problem, having climbed the Cliffs multitudes of times before.

Taeyong did the same, the younger boys looking at the two with incredulous expressions.

"Now," Taeyong paused, making sure he had everyone's attention, "the hard part."

Mark took a deep breath, letting the oxygen fill his lungs, before letting it out evenly. Him and Taeyong made eye contact, and Mark nodded in confirmation.

We're ready.

Taeyong smiled, and began to lead the boys once more.

The Cliffs were exactly that, cliffs.

Rows and rows and mountain-sized pieces of rocks that had water flowing through the rocks further in the cracks.

"What happened for these to be here?" Chenle asked, not liking the silence as he made his way over a particularly bigger rock.

Jaehyun answered the boy.

"This used to be a mountain. One of the largest in the world."

Chenle nodded, "Then what happened?"

"When the Inside was created, they destroyed a little under half of the mountain in order to have more space for that Institution. They weren't worried about the rest of the mountain, probably thinking that it would eventually erode away into nothing. That was before they realized that Defects existed and were a threat to their 'perfect' society. So when they attacked, so did we."

Chenle stopped, almost falling for it, but looked at the older boy, making a strange noise, causing Jaehyun to stop as well, looking at the younger.

"W-with a mountain???"

Jaehyun looked away slightly, nodding as he did, and then looked at the younger again.

"Technically half a mountain, but I don't think that'll make a difference in your eyes," Jaehyun, motioning at the boy to keep moving.

"Just think of the Cliffs as a border of sorts," Taeyong said, basically talking to all of the boys.

If this is a border, then this is gonna be a while.

Renjun was already feeling his legs burn.

Oh god.

. . .

"Is that green I see?!" Donghyuck yelled, seeing the familiar green of grass.

Taeyong laughed out loud, finding the boy cute.

The other boys seemed to let out collective sighs in relief at the mention of them not needing to climb anymore.

Their hands were covered in scratches, as well as wore soles in their shoes.

They were exhausted, but made no complaints so far.

Taeyong was surprised at that, being able to be aware of what they're thinking, but they were all too focused on escaping successfully than the wearing down their bodies had never felt before.

It was very commendable of the boys.

They continued the trek until they met another forest, although not as thick as the first one.

Soon they caught sight of a metallic gray, the industrial sense of it very noticeable in the nature surrounding it.

The building was huge, and from what they could see, it was seamless, not a very obvious entrance or anything.

That was until Taeyong led them to a corner of the large building, pressing the flat surface in, opening the door that raised above all of their heads.

The sight the new boys saw was incredible.

Hordes of people, swarming the inside of the building, working around like ants.

Taeyong had been looking inside as well, but turned around to look at them.

He smiled wide, eyes softening at them.

"Welcome to Neo City."

. . .

A/N : 

Thank you so much for reading!

I'm getting further into an actual plot and I'm excited!

So,

what do you think is gonna happen next?

:3

anywho,

so,

ATEEZ's "HALA HALA" has me playing it on repeat. 

IT'S A BOP

I appreciate the support, and I hope you enjoyed!!

started : 2019.1.11
finished : 2019.1.11