- Seventeen -

They all looked at the woman, varying emotions.

She scanned each boy separately, almost as if she was trying to intimidate them.

But Mark wasn't having it, not when it concerned his boys.

"Excuse me, ma'am, but we unfortunately have no idea who you are," he said, trying to sound for the most part polite.

She smiled, and straightened her stance, bringing her hands in front of her, clasping them together.

"Well, young man, I am the head of the Inside, and I think we have some," she paused, "things to discuss."

The boys looked at her, and back to Mark, anxiety written on their faces.

Mark looked at the woman.

"Would you like to clarify what that exactly is?

"Come with me," she said, turning slowly on her heel, beckoning the boys to follow.

To say they felt threatened was an understatement. They didn't know what was going to happen.

Mark looked at Donghyuck, his light brown hair messed up from the running, but eyes still bright and he returned the older's look with a confident nod of his head, and grabbed his hand.

Mark squeezed the younger's hand in response, and looked at everyone else.

Chenle was holding Jisung's hand, who seemed to be comforting the older.

Jeno was standing there, hair still white, but slowly and surely turning back to the black, eyes wide and scared.

Renjun stood behind the group, distancing himself. He didn't know if he could pull up in the ranks yet, he hadn't even been introduced to everyone. But by the look Chenle sent him, they were in this, together.

Jaemin stood beside Jeno, still a little shook up from being in that room, and the dawning that Jeno was a Defect. Jaemin wasn't upset that Jeno was a Defect, as some things in the past kind of seemed to appear and give an answer as to why some actions had happened, but he was a little upset that the older hadn't of told him sooner.

They were best friends after all, weren't they?

Jaemin seemed to notice Renjun's distancing, and mistook it as fright.

He silently went back to the older, and gently took his hand, causing the older to look up at him and show him a worried face.

Mark took over, letting go of Donghyuck's hand and facing them all.

"All right guys, I won't let anything happen to any of you. Let's follow the lady."

Everyone looked at each other, and slowly nodded.

They all faced where the woman was standing at the end of the hall, looking at them patiently.

Her calmness sent chills down Mark's spine, but he let it be.

They each collectively made their way behind the woman, and was led into a large conference room. There was a large circular table surrounded by almost endless chairs.

The woman directed them to sit.

The all sat together, the woman at the podium in front of them.

"Hello students," she began, "my name is Abigail Carthwright, and I am the head of the Inside Committee."

"I have you all here for multiple reasons. We have project Delta," she paused, casting her gaze on Jeno, Jaemin, and Renjun, "and project Kkum we are working on, with your assistance."