- Forty Nine -

To say that Abigail was pissed was an understatement.

She was livid.

She knew something felt off when Taeyong was reluctant after his small meeting with Renjun at the police station.

But she could never put her finger on it exactly.

It seemed like she should've seen it coming, but she had wrongly put her trust in Lee Taeyong, and was receiving the backlash of it.

She couldn't fathom a reason for Taeyong for hating her.

"Why would he?" she pondered out loud, standing in her office, which was elevated high off of the ground, glass surrounding her on all four sides.

The night view of the city glowed lightly in the dark sky, her table lamp's light making her reflection clearer as she looked at the buildings below her.

She held a glass, filled with something she hoped would take the stress away.

She had no idea how long the boys were gone and how long Taeyong's had them. She knew of Lee Jeno and his situation, but she didn't know what Taeyong would want with a Defect that didn't have any powers. There was nothing but a war brewing.

A war that Taeyong wouldn't win.

Because Carthwrights don't ever lose.

She continued to stare out the window, looking at the lights that seemed to reflect the night sky, almost on a surface of a body of water that didn't seem like it could ever exist.

She squinted towards nothing, scrutinizing the reason of Taeyong's actions.

What could possibly?

They had a bond, almost like her and Renjun's, but something must've happened between the two.

She walked over to her desk, looking at the piles of paper she had requested form the Defect files.

She picked up a familiar folder, whose papers were beyond old.

The one thing that Abigail could give to the man that haunted her thoughts every second, was that he was at this for a long time.

She used to have Taeyong right in her hand. Much like Renjun was. Is.

She hadn't noticed the emotional severance the younger had placed when he had left the Clinic that day.

She could just remember the bright smiles that Taeyong would give her. But the worst part was the pain of it when he left.

. . .

Abigail smiled brightly at the young boy, patting his head softly.

"Our Taeyongie~ You're such a good boy for me," she let out, watching the boy play in the plants outside the Clinic.

She let her hand go onto the little boy's head again, patting the black hair that lay atop it.

His only response was to look back at her with his bright eyes and smile.

She returned it, sitting in the chair.

"Oh! Look what I found Ms. Abigail!" the child's voice rang out, running towards her on stumbly feet.

She smiled, looking at the small flower the boy had in his hand.

"Oh, it's so pretty! Just like our Taeyongie~" she let out, feeling her breath become shallow.

He smiled up at her, and ran back to the planter boxes to find more flowers.

She caught her breath, before turning her wrist until it was in front of her, checking the time.