Yeah (Maixy)

Requested by: HayoonaAH2 (Who by the way made the absolutely beautiful fan art up above!!)

Type: Fluff

AU: None

Pairing: Maixy (Mai x Oxy)

Third Person's POV:

Today was the day. The day Oxy Last-Name, was going to Mai's house. He had day-dreamed for this day to come for way too long now, and finally it was happening. Too bad it wasn't a date, though. They were just gonna finish a science project together. Oxy wondered if he wasn't supposed to invite Mai over at his house instead of hers, but then again, his apartment was chaos whenever the other Nightmares were around. Oxy fiddled with the sleeves of his favorite orange sweater as he shyly glanced at the mirror in front of him.

"Jesus Christ, Oxy. It's not even a date, and I don't think Mai gives a shit about what you're wearin' anyways......" Onnie boredly pointed out.

"Ugh.....I guess you're right. But I don't wanna screw this up...... I'm too much of a weirdo to ever think about dating a girl like Mai......" Oxy muttered a bit saddened.

Onnie got up from the bed and firmly grabbed Oxy's shoulder.

"Don't say that about yourself! You're frickin' amazing, and you and Mai are both weird! That's gonna be the thing that'll get you two together in the end." Onnie said with a definitive nod.

Oxy slightly smiled at that before boisterously laughing.

"Alright! Thanks for the pep talk, dude!" Oxy fist-bumped Onnie.

"Make sure you don't give her a heart attack with that laugh of yours......." Onnie put a hand to his heart and made a dramatic gesture that represented a heart attack.

Oxy snickered before heading downstairs.

"You goin' to Mai's?" Maggie asked from the couch.

"Yeah!" Oxy replied as he picked up his backpack.

"Nice. Go get 'er, Tiger!" Deuz jokingly said.

Oxy bashfully smiled at his two friends and closed the door. Okay, so act like yourself. Mai's probably the type to like genuine guys who are a bit eccentric. And try not to laugh in any way. ...........shit. His laugh was a big part of what made Oxy himself. Maybe he could cover it up a bit by lying he was having a bad day in case Mai asked. The walk to Mai's apartment was rather short, and as Oxy stood in front of her door, he wondered if her twin brother Puppet would be there too.

If that was the case, he didn't mind. Oxy got along with Puppet fairly well. Would Mai notice Oxy's summer freckles? Would she like them or think they're ugly? Would she-

"Hey, Oxy!" Mai's upbeat voice made Oxy jump at least 5 feet into the air.

Oxy looked up to see Mai leaning out the window and looking down at him, a wide smile on her face.

"U-uh......hey." Oxy doubted Mai heard his quiet greeting, but he wouldn't be surprised if she did.

"The door's unlocked, head on inside!" Mai shamelessly yelled.

Oxy didn't think screaming that your door is unlocked for all to hear was a good idea, so after going inside and taking off his shoes, he locked the front door. Mai was meanwhile already downstairs.

"Hey, hey!" She cheerfully looked up at Oxy.

Oxy tried his best not to run away screaming because of Mai's adorable facial expression.

"Yeah......" Smooth, Oxy.

Who the fuck even says 'yeah' after someone greets them? Mai giggled and swiftly took his hand.

"Let's finish the project in the kitchen!~" Mai seemed oblivious to her giant partner's reddened face.

Oxy stiffly followed after Mai, and mentally scolded himself as he felt his palms grow sweaty. No one likes sweaty guys...... Oxy sat down at Mai's table, silently staring down at his own reflection the shiny wood offered him. He frowned a bit. Oh boy, did he look like shit......

"So I thought we could add something to the volcano, maybe some paint to make it look cooler....." Oxy sheepishly suggested.

"Oh, sure! I've got some flashy orange paint lying in the garage!" Mai cutely said.

"Okay, I'll go get-"

"WAIT!" Mai suddenly interrupted him.

Oxy was half-way getting up from his chair as he raised an eyebrow at Mai.

"What's up?" Oxy slipped back in his seat.

"We can't work on the project like this!" Mai exclaimed with a pout.

"Uh, is somethin' wrong?" Oxy looked rather confused.

"Yeah, you haven't smiled or laughed since you got here!" Mai explained as if it were obvious.

"Oh......"

That made sense. Mai didn't like seeing people without a smile, so obviously she'd call Oxy out for his frown.

"Can you smile for me?" Mai asked with puppy dog eyes.

"I'll.....I'll try?" Oxy attempted to smile.

Judging by Mai's indifferent expression, his smile either came out as forced or terrifying.

"Alright, what about a laugh?" Mai continued, anticipated to see any form of happiness on Oxy.

Oxy had to admit, whenever he was really nervous or flustered, he had trouble smiling or laughing. Sometimes he could manage an obnoxious laugh, but this time around it didn't seem to work.

"Hey, I know! I'll tell you some jokes to make you laugh!" Mai rapidly suggested.

"Okay." Oxy nodded in agreement.

"Okay, so who brings presents to baby sharks on Christmas Eve?" Mai asked him.

Oxy merely shrugged as a response.

"Santa Jaws!" Mai dramatically announced.

Oxy quietly snorted through his nose, but it sounded more like a sigh.

"No? No problem, I've got another one! What's the difference between a snowman and a snowwoman? Snowballs!" Oxy hid a slight smile.

If this kept up, he'd laugh his annoying obnoxious laugh again........

"The next one will get ya! Why did the balloon go near the needle?" Mai obviously expected a reply this time.

"Because he wanted to die?" Oxy innocently guessed.

Mai snickered and shook her head.

"Nope! 'Cause he wanted to be a pop star!"

Now it became clear to Mai Oxy was trying to hide his laugh. But why? Mai would love to hear a cutie like Oxy's laugh!

"This one's gotta make you laugh! Why did the dinosaur cross the road?"

Oxy considered answering, but Mai beat him to it.

"Cuz the chicken hadn't evolved yet!" Mai loudly yelled.

What followed next, was magic. At least to Mai, it was. Oxy's booming, sudden laughter filled the room, and Mai found herself gawking at the ginger.

Oxy felt embarrassed. He was stupidly laughing because of a lame chicken joke. But he couldn't help it! Just the serious way Mai explained the joke, and the word dinosaur just sounded funny to Oxy. The orange-haired giant clasped a hand over his mouth and awkwardly narrowed his eyes.

"You have a beautiful laugh!" Mai smiled and put her hand on top of Oxy's.

"You have a beautiful smile......" Oxy muttered barely audible.

"Huh?"

"Yeah."