5. Confess Your Sins

Four weeks. Four weeks of ignoring anything to do with Kyle. Four weeks of ignoring his phone calls. Four weeks of ignoring anything to do with him. I wish I could say that about my younger sister. Or should I say my exfiance's mistress? I could ignore for the rest of my life if I could.

However I knew I couldn't ignore anymore phone calls from my parents before they sent out a missing person's report to Washington State Patrol. I'm surprised they let me be so distant for so long. But I guess Chelsea did open her big mouth and shared the news of the humiliation I was put through. I decided to go to my parents house today. They have they're usual Sunday dinner and I think It would be a good time to figure out  the plans of the wedding that has been called off. Let's just pray Chelsea doesn't show her face this Sunday. But that would probably be asking for too much.

It's five o'clock in the evening when I turn onto Falling Leaf lane. Rolling down the street it looks just the same from growing up here. Each house looked like it was built in the seventies . One story houses line the streets and every yard consisting of large pine trees making shadows along the sidewalk. Each house had had red brick like exterior with white trim. My favorite part about these houses were the wrap around porches that you could sit on and enjoy reading a book on. I always imagined growing up and living in one of these houses with my husband while we watch our kids play in the neighborhood. I thought that dream would come true when I met Kyle but life had another plan in store for me.

My parents have lived here my whole life. They raised me and my sister here. They made their house into a home and I loved it. When I pull in front of their home, my old home,  I notice the black Dodge Dart a few feet from mine. Chelsea is here. This should go well.

Without knocking I walk into the house and hang my coat on the black iron rack by the door. I hear my mom in the kitchen talking to my dad while making dinner. There's no sign of Chelsea but I know she's here. Walking the hallway to see my parents I look closely at the photos that line the beige walls. I stare at each one as if I haven't seen these pictures a million times before. I know I'm stalling .I stop and stare at the picture of my sister on the Santa Monica pier in a white wooden frame. I had to have been sixteen making her fourteen at the time. I remember it like it was yesterday. Our parents took us to California for summer vacation and we spent the day on the pier playing games, eating hamburgers and enjoying the sun rays on our tanned skin. It was a good day.She was my best friend, I could tell her everything and anything. Now I can't stand saying her name without wanting to punch her in the face.

Staring at the photo I feel a strong arm wrap around my shoulders and the smell of Ralph Lauren cologne take over my senses.  My dad always knew when I needed a hug. I look away from the framed memory and rest my head on my father's chest and wrap my arms around his broad shoulders. I've missed this. Four weeks is too long with out my parents. Especially since I'm a daddy's girl.

Not needing to say anything we walk to the kitchen so I can greet my mother. She's standing at the stove with her dark brown hair that's identical to mine pulled up into a golden clip. Her red apron that she always wears says "Natalie's Kitchen, Seasoned with love" scripted across in white lettering.

"Honey, looks like we need another plate for dinner!" My dad playfully tells my mom. "Who did Chels invite this time?" My mom says while turning to look at my dad and her mystery guest.Her face turns from annoyed to a wide set grin when she notices me. She runs over and wraps her arms around me and I can feel her quietly crying on my shoulder. I didn't mean to make my mom cry but I just needed space from everything and everyone.
After she dries her tears she steps back to look at me . " Honey , I know you're in great deal of pain but your father and I are here for you,always, please come to us, not run away from us.We've missed you so much." "I'm sorry mom I just needed some time. I promise I won't do it again." I say assuring my mom. She hugs me one more time and returns to the stove.

Dinner is placed on the white farmhouse dining table. We take our seats but I notice my sister has yet to come into the dining room. Honestly I rather not sit in front of her at eat my food. The sight of her will probably make me loose my appetite.
"Chels! Get in here dinner is ready!" My dad yells down the hall. She must be hiding in her old bedroom. Coward.

A few minutes later I hear footsteps entering the dining room. I don't want to look up and acknowledge the one person I never thought would wreck my life. From the corner of my eye I see her coming around the table, seeing her legs slip under the table. I grit my teeth remembering seeing them on Kyle's shoulders not too long ago.Awkward silence fills the room. It seems as though our parents don't notice the tension between us.

After we say grace we place the Garlic Baked chicken , steamed broccoli and rice onto our plates. Delicious. My eyes never leaving the table as I scoop portions on to my white ceramic dish. "Honey, are you alright? You haven't said a word since we sat down. What's wrong? My mother questions me. I look up and lock eyes with the one who helped shatter my heart. She looks at me with guilty eyes. "Ask. Her." I demand as I point to my sister. My parents look at Chelsea with bewilderment. "Chels?" My father asks confused. Guessing by my parents confusion she only told parts of the story as to why I won't be walking down the aisle in a month. Not surprised at all.

Silence surrounds the table. I glare at Chelsea. I feel my anger radiating off of me. I hope she can feel my hatred towards her. "One of you girls needs to say something right now. I do not appreciate this kind of hostility in my house." Father demands us.

Chelsea fidgets with her fork looking down at her broccoli as if it will confess her sins for her. "Go ahead Chels, tell mom and dad how I came home from work and found my sister and fiancé sleeping together in my bed."I hiss at her.

"YOU DID WHAT?!" my father screams at my sibling. She looks like she's about to shit her pants but I could care less. Having an exmarine scream at you even if they're your father is frightening. She deserves it though." You mean to tell me that motherfucker cheated on Everly with you Chelsea ! You are the reason she won't come near our home or answer our phone calls? You are part of the reason your sister is heart broken? How could you betray your own sister? And please tell me why you lied and said Kyle fucking Traitor left Ev without an explanation? Sure seems like you skipped on major details young lady! I can't even look at you right now. How dare you disrespect your own family like that and lie between your teeth to your mother and I? I love you but you got to get out of my damn house now." His voice piercing each one of us.

My mother and I stare at my father. A word not leaving our mouths. I can't tell if I'm frightened or in shock. My father has never spoken to any of us in that manner. I look at my sister, sobs escape her lips and tears are pouring down her face as she sits staring at my father. He looks so disappointed. I'm not sure what's worse, your parents being upset with you or knowing you disappointed them? I guess Chelsea would know the answer to that one.

"Why are you still in my house Chelsea Lauren Tanner ?" His question provoking more tears from my sister. After a few moments she gets up and runs out the front door while her sobbing continues. My mother lets out the gasp she's been holding since the confession started. Tears streaming down her cheeks and mine mirroring hers.

"I am so sorry honey, don't worry about a thing with canceling the wedding I will take care of that. You take care of yourself right now. All I care about is your well being. I will be sure to talk to your sister. I do hope you guys can reconcile but I understand it will take awhile." She tells me through tears squeezing my hand for reassurance. I love my mom.

We clean up dinner in silence. My parents look so disappointed. I feel bad for the way the affair was announced but I couldn't hold it in any longer. I let my anger take over.
I walk to the door and give my parents one last hug before I leave for the night. I promise them I will answer their calls and see them soon. They stand on the porch holding hands like they always do and watch my car leave their home. I hope one day I can find love like theirs.