56. Under One Condition

Cohen

"So it looks like you and Ev are doing very well." Liam comments as he rest his lean body against the door frame.

"It's perfect right now, I got so damn lucky. So so lucky." I express leaning my head back against the recliner.

I know I'm one lucky fuck to have her come back to me, to love me when I don't deserve it. She deserves everything better than what's she's been dealt. I brought all my damage and let her get trampled in it. She got hurt and I know she's still hurting but somehow she still wants me, still chooses me, and I'm undoubtedly grateful for her.

"You do know it's not all your fault. I can see the guilt on your face and I know you blame yourself. You always have, you take the burden and guilt and hold it on your shoulders when it's not yours to always carry." Liam trudges over to the love seat opposite of me and plops down, I can feel him staring at me. I don't like admitting my feelings especially to my little brother. He can't know I'm hurting even if it's noticeable sometimes.

I roll my head to the side glancing over at my personal therapist at the moment. "You're doing it again you know." I roll my eyes trying to avoid the truth.

"And what exactly am I doing?" His smirk tells me he already knows what I'm talking about.

"You know exactly what you're doing. You always try to make sure I don't feel guilty over the mistakes I've made. You naturally try protecting me and that's what makes you the best person I know but you can't protect me from the choices I made that have hurt people I love." My voice rises at the end with annoyance. I'm more annoyed with not hiding it, I don't need anyone worrying about me. It's my job to take care of everyone else it's always been like that and that's how it should be.

Liam pushes his weight on to his forearms as he leans forward. I can see the anger and frustration cross over his features before settling into a neutral expression just like he's been trained to do.

"Cut the shit Cohen. I'm so fucking tired of it and you know you don't need to be everyone's hero. Yes our parents were pieces of shits while we grew up and yes you've been through some fucked up shit but that doesn't define you. You would never intentionally hurt anyone. I clearly remember you taking the hits when I made the poor decisions and our father didn't approve of it. I remember you being the one to make sure my homework was done and I had what I needed for school not our parents. You were the one who was there for me. You've been my hero since I could remember but now let me take some of the burden off your shoulders. I do t care what it is just let me help you." He stares at me with such an intense stare I have to look away. I know he's right, he always has.

I lean further back into the recliner in the room Ev made for me to relax or when I need to watch tapes to be ready for my next game. She designed this room just for me even though I told her I didn't need it but she still put my needs first. Another reason I'm so in love with this girl.

"You know for a little brother you sure act like your the older one." I stifle a laugh.

"First off I'm not your little brother I'm just younger. I'm almost the same size as you and probably stronger too." He cracks a smile towards me.

"You wish you were stronger then me. I think you need to go back to the gym and training with some of your buddies or I can train you." I tease knowing damn well he's a strong mother fucker.

"I think you got it twisted. You couldn't even last in the training that I have done and still continue to do. And you know I'm right."