12. Understand Her

Cohen

It's been a long day. I love my future sister in law but wedding stuff like what we did today is not for me. I did like the way Ev looked in that dress though. She's absolutely gorgeous. I wanted to wrap my hands around Bret when he told her she was sexy. She sure as hell is but he or any other guy for that matter can keep their eyes and fucking mouth shut when it comes to her.

I watched her in the mirrors.Even though a smile was splayed across her face it didn't meet her eyes. I could tell there was something wrong. When we walked into the café she wasn't herself. I know I've only known her for a week but I can tell she was feeling off. I did get her to smile once she finally looked up at me but for some reason it dropped instantly. Was she mad at me for her panties?

I noticed she was gone for quiet some time and Tessa had to order for her. Right as I was about to get up to look for her she came running back to her seat. She looked as if she seen a ghost and she had her left hand wrapped around her right wrist rubbing it gently.

I sit on the couch flipping through the channels. I see my old coach being interviewed on ESPN. I can't stand that man. I turn off the tv and make my way up the stairs to my room. I go to walk into my room but I see Ev's door is cracked open slightly and her light is on. I walk over to her door quietly. I want to ask her if she's okay. When we got home she came straight to her room and has been up here all evening.

I place my hand on the door handle and knock lightly with my other. " Hey Ev you-.." I'm about to ask her but I hear her softly crying. I push the door open and see her cuddled under her massive comforter. She looks so tiny surrounded by all her pillows. Her body is slightly shaking from her sobs as I make my way over to her bed. I sit at the bottom of the bed next to her feet.

"Ev, what's wrong?" I ask her as I rub her leg. She lifts her head up to see me and my heart breaks. Her face is stained with tears and she looks exhausted. I crawl over to her and sit against her headboard. I lift her so she's on top of me and cradle her in my arms. She begins to sob harder into my chest, it makes me tighten my arms around her even more.

"Baby, tell me what's wrong. Please." I beg her to tell me. She wipes off her tears and lifts her head. I frown at the empty feeling of her not being in my hold. She looks hesitant to talk to me but she takes a deep breath.

" I haven't been okay in awhile."

"What do you mean?"

I remember Liam telling me she's been through some shit but it seems a lot deeper.

"It's my ex. He was there at the Café today." She mumbles.

"Like ex boyfriend?" I ask her. She shakes her head no.

"My exfinancé." She tells me. My breath hitches. I stay quiet so she can continue.

"The reason why I'm staying here is because a couple of months ago I came home from work and caught him cheating on me. If it wasn't bad enough he was fucking my sister in our bed." She tells me. I'm going to kill that motherfucker.

My hold around her tightens slightly. "I moved out the next day. I called off the wedding.I've ignored him ever since." She tells me wiping away her tears.

"Today was the first day I seen or heard from him. I couldn't stand to hear him laughing and talking behind us any longer so I went to the restroom. When I walked out he was waiting for me."

My jaw clenches when she tells me that. I knew I should've went after her.

"He pinned me against the door and begged for me to come back to him.He told me he missed me and still was In love with me. When I couldn't take it anymore I tried to walk away but he grabbed my wrist and told me he would talk to me soon. It sounded like a threat." She tells me as she rubs her wrist.

He's a deadman.

She begins to cry again and I pull her into my chest again. What motherfucker would hurt a beautiful woman like her. She caught the love of her life fucking her sister right in front of her and thinks he can bring his ass back into her life as if nothing happened. He has no idea what's coming for him if I ever see him.

I stroke her hair to try to calm her. We stay quiet for awhile only hearing her sniffle underneath me. After about an hour I feel her body relax and I know she fell asleep from her exhaustion.

I know it took a lot for her to tell me about her past. Seeing her cry over that fucker tore at my heart. This beautiful women doesn't deserve to be heartbroken. I'm so glad she opened up to me tonight. I wish it was under different circumstances but it shows me she trusts me.

I know how she feels. The feeling of being ripped apart by the person who you gave your all to. The person who you trusted with everything in the world. She has no idea I understand exactly how she feels.

I cradle her in my arms not wanting to let her go. I can't leave her feeling broken.