45. The Waiting Game

Cohen

All of us surrounded in Chelsea's living room as we stare at my phone. No one says a word or makes a move. We're all too afraid that we'll miss something, anything with in the quietness that followed that scream.

My heart is racing. I should've never left her. He got to her again. I promised her that he would never lay a hand on her ever again but that promise broke. I let it fall right through my fingers and now she's somewhere with him.

"Come on Ev say something, anything." I plead. I need to know she's okay. I swear to god I'm going to kill Kyle when we find her. He won't be able to see another day I'll make sure of it.

A crackling sounds through the phone speaker. I lean forward trying to hear anything through the noise. I hear faint mumbling but can't make out what's being said. The muffling of what I assume is talking goes on for a minute or so. It's hard to hear it's as if the speaker is covered making everything sound distorted. This goes on for what seems like forever. It's hard to distinguish her voice and his at the moment between the mumbling, heavy breathing and sounds like rustling of fabric.

What the fuck is he doing to my girl?!

A loud sound crackles through the phone with a swift intake of air. More words are jumbled up and it's killing me that I can't understand what's being said. What if he's saying something that could be useful to finding her? I swear to god if he's hurting her I'll kill him with my bare hands.

Complete silence fills the room. None of us are uttering a word and there's no sound coming through my phone. I tap the screen of my phone making sure the call didn't drop or anything.

What the hell is going on? Is all I can think? I'm trying to think of places where he would take her. I know nothing about this man and what he's capable of and now he has the most precious and most important person in my life in his hands. The only other people who know anything about him would be Chels and my sister-in-law. I glance up at the girls seeing their cheeks stained with tears that they keep wiping away as they stare at my phone as well.

"Chels, Ave... you guys are the only ones who really know Kyle where could they be?" I whisper at them.

They both look at me with tears glistening in their eyes. The girls look at each other as if they're asking each other the same question.

"I-I'm not too sure Cohen. He's a completely different person from who I used to know." Avery whispers back.

"Yeah. I-." Chelsea gets cut off when more sounds come through my phone.

"Please Kyle don't do this. I don't want this. Please." We all hear Ev's voice clearly through the speaker as she begs.

My chest tightens hearing her say his name.I look over to Liam seeing him type vigorously on his phone like he has been sense him and Avery got here. Sensing I'm looking at him and he gives me a slight nod only I can see and continues typing again. Knowing what Liam does gives me a slight relief as to knowing we're closer to finding her.

My chest tightens hearing her say his name and my vision becomes blurry and with range as my mind is racing as to get to my girl. My head is pounding and I can't hear anything else as I stand from my spot on the couch. She should not be in this situation. She shouldn't be begging for him to stop whatever he's doing! God!  it's all my damn fault. I can feel my nails leaving imprints into my skin from how tight I'm clenching my fist. I sit back down I. My spot and breath in deeply trying to calm my self. She needs you Cohen. She needs you to listen for anything important right now I try to remind myself. I take one last deep breath in to calm myself hearing silence again.