•❊The Essay❊•

NOTE BEFORE YOU READ:
APOLOGIES FOR ALL ERRORS.

AND APOLOGIES FOR MY TRASH WRITING. I AM A TRASH CAN.

⊰•

✽SET IN THE DANGEROUS ERA✽

|1993|

You were seated underneath a large tree, writing in your notebook. The campus grounds were empty, and only a few students could be seen moving around. It was eight in the morning, and you did not have a class until nine. Instead of choosing to wait in the classroom, you decided to spend some time underneath a large tree. The shade it provided was splendid, and the soft grass acted as a cushion for your limbs.

You were a college student, and this was your second year. Your lessons were always very complicated, meaning that you spent most of your time studying. However, before your early morning classes, you liked to write expressive essays - especially about a person that meant a lot to you. For the longest time, you had admired Michael Jackson - the world's greatest entertainer. 

Everything about him captivated you, and your only wish was to be able to meet him so that you could tell him how much you loved him. You just wanted one chance, but nothing had worked to your favor. You spent most of your money on tuition fees, so you never had enough to be able to buy a ticket to attend even one of his concerts.

And so, you would spend your mornings, expressing yourself in the journal that you held dear to you.

Focused on the pen that glided along the paper, you watched as your handwriting made its mark within the ruled lines.

I yearn to speak the words that I, myself, would like to hear. The deepest depths of my soul seem to know what it gravitates toward, yet my mind cannot give me a fair answer. I-

"(Y/N)!" a female voice snapped you out of your reverie. You looked up and saw that your best friend, Luisa, was approaching to settle down next to you. A smile formed on your face as you closed the book. "Aw man, are you writing those essays again?" she raised an eyebrow slightly.

"Yeah," you laughed a little.

"Dude," she looked at you. "I have some exciting news, and you are going to freak out!" she giggled.

"Mhm," you nodded. "Go ahead,"

"So you know how you've always wanted to meet Michael...right?" she grinned.

"Yeah?..." you trailed off slightly.

"Well, his management team is holding a competition, and the winner gets to spend an entire evening with Michael," she clapped her hands. "Imagine that, an entire evening - just spending time with the King of Pop!" she nudged you.

"Woah," you let out a breath. "I see," you still had a frown on your face.

"Okay, but here's the best part," she could not stop smiling. "It's an essay competition. You just have to submit an expressive essay, penning your words to him," her eyes sparkled.

"What?" you gawked.

"Amazing, right?!" she nudged you again. "You've written so many, you can just submit one!" she exclaimed. "Submissions are due this afternoon!"

Your face fell slightly as you rubbed the cover of your journal gently. Sure, you had written many expressive essays that involved Michael, but you weren't sure if you were ready to submit one. They were very personal to you, the words held pieces of your heart.