Chapter 13: You're Not A Monster

(Y/n)'s POV

Flashback

It's been 4 years since I joined Fairy Tail. The day I joined, everyone was so friendly and welcoming, I loved it. I had no place to stay so I just bunked with Natsu and Happy. After 3 years, I got kinda sick of it, so I decided to move out and get my own place. The only problem was that I was too young to actually buy a house, so I went with the next best thing. Building my own house in the woods.

Me and Oak were currently working on the floor boards of the house. We already set up the foundation a month prior and it was going pretty well. We were just hammering nails when I heard something to my left. I shifted my eyes just a little bit, not wanting to loose my focus, and saw a certain armor-clad redhead. Oak seemed to notice her first though.

Oak: hi, Erza!

Erza: hello, you 2. How's your house coming along?

(Y/n): good, we're nowhere near finish though.

Erza: well, you only started building last month. Of course it's going to be a while before you finish.

Oak: so why are you here, did you need something?

Erza: well, I was actually wondering if you wanted to accompany me on a mission.

(Y/n): what's the job?

Erza: it's just a simple investigation quest. People have been hearing strange noises from The Freewater Crater.

My head shot up and the memories I had been repressing came rushing back at high speeds.

(Y/n): uh Oak, I-I'm out of nails. C-can you go to the store and g-get some more.

Oak: but you have a full box of nails right ther-

(Y/n): NOW!

Oak flew off towards town in fear. I sighed and looked down at the unfinished floor.

Erza: is everything ok, (y/n)?

(Y/n): Erza, can I talk to you about something?

Erza: of course.

(Y/n): well, it's about The Freewater Crater. Master Makarov's the only one who knows about this.

Erza: what are you talking about?

A tear ran down my cheek before I spoke.

(Y/n): I...destroyed Freewater. I'm the reason it was reduced to nothing but a crater. I tried so hard to get that memory out of my head, but it keeps coming back.

Erza: I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you about that job.

(Y/n): no, it's fine. It's just that...after it happened, I saw myself as a monster, something that needed to be delt with before it hurt more people.

Erza walked over to me and place a hand on my shoulder.

Erza: Listen to me, you're not a monster, you're human just like everyone else in Fairy Tail. If you were a monster, do you really think Master Makarov would let you join?

I thought for a moment.

(Y/n): knowing him, he probably would.

Erza just chuckled at my answer and smiled at me.

Erza: yeah, he would. Listen, maybe you should come with me on this mission, you could get a bit of closure.

I hesitated for second.

(Y/n): sure, why not?

I got to my feet and then heard Oak's voice.

Oak: I'm back!