Chapter 35: The Black Wizard

(Y/n)'s POV

???: (Y/n), wake up! Please wake up!

I opened my eyes and lifted my hand to cover myself from the sun light. I sat up and saw Oak, Carla, and Pantherlily.

Oak: oh thank god!

Carla: what exactly happened to you.

(Y/n): uh, it's a long story.

Pantherlily: well, you look like you just fought a pride of lions.

(Y/n): haha, very funny.

Oak: wait, what's that in your hand?

I looked in my left hand and saw Carnage's cane resting in my palm.

(Y/n): I guess it's a trophy.

Oak: pretty creepy looking trophy.

(Y/n): are the others ok.

Carla: they're fine. They're taking on the rest of Grimoire Heart as we speak.

(Y/n): good. Lily and Carla, you should go find them. Oak, come with me and help me find the others.

I tried to get up and walked but a pain in my leg stopped me from doing so. I took the cane and used it to support my weight. I began limping along toward the forest with Oak following we.

Oak: (y/n), you need to rest.

(Y/n): not gonna happen. I need to make sure all our friends are safe.

Oak: how do you expect yourself to do that with a broken leg.

(Y/n): I've been through pain way worse then this. I can handle it.

The further we moved through the forest, the drearier it got. All the trees looked like the life was completely drained from them.

Oak: what happened here?

(Y/n): I have no idea, but all these trees look dead and withering.

Oak: what could have done this?

(Y/n): I have a working theory.

???: Forgive me, you didn't deserve such a fate.

Me and Oak looked at each other before turning to the source of that voice. We peeked from behind a tree and saw a man with short black hair. Knelt down in front of another man with long blonde hair. Next to him was a girl with short pink hair and...

Oak: *whispers* Juvia. Who is that guy?

(Y/n): no doubt about. That's gotta be Zeref.

I made a stupid move and took a step forward to try and retrieve her, but I ended up stepping on a twig. It snapped and he turned his head to look at us. I began panicking, know that my next move would mean life or death.

(Y/n): w-we don't want any trouble. We're just here to get our friend and move along.

To my surprise, his eyes shift to the sword on my back.

Zeref: that sword...

He turned back to me and we made eye contact.

Zeref: you're Fatalis' son, aren't you?

I jumped in surprise.

(Y/n): Oak, get Juvia and take her back to camp.

Oak: on it.

Oak picked up Juvia and began flying back to camp. When I knew he was gone I spoke.

(Y/n): how do you know Fatalis?

Zeref: he was an old friend of mine. I gave him that sword as a gift, but of course a sword is merely a toothpick to a dragon. It would seem he did something more beneficial with it by giving it to you. Would you mind if I had a look at it for a moment?

(Y/n): you're not gonna curse it or anything are ya?

Zeref: of course not, that sword is already cursed.

I flinched. The sword that I've had for years now was cursed and I never knew it. I took it out of the scabbard and slowly handed it to him. He examined it for a bit before smiling.

Zeref: yes, this is the same sword.

(Y/n): so what exactly makes it so special?

Zeref: this is The Golden Blade, Meliode. It's able to absorb offensive magic attacks into the blade and send them back at double the strength.

(Y/n): seriously, how did I not figure that out sooner?

He handed the sword back to me and I put it back in it's scabbard.

(Y/n): so what are you doing here anyway?

Zeref: I came to this island in hopes of finding refuge from the outside world. The more I began to value life the more this cursed body of mine would take the souls of innocent people. Grimoire Heart and their master sought me out with the hope of me helping them. Hades must be punished.

(Y/n): um, can I ask you something real quick.

Zeref: go ahead.

(Y/n): do you know where Fatalis is?

Zeref: I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue. He disappeared 7 years ago, right?

(Y/n): yeah, I haven't seen a trace of him since then.

Zeref: hm, I believe you will meet Fatalis again. Not today or tomorrow, but you will see him again.

(Y/n): it's kinda strange getting a pep-talk from a dark wizard who created dozens of monsters with the power to level cities.

Zeref: if I'm not mistake, you have the ability to do the same.

(Y/n): HEY, I only did that once, and that was on accident.

Zeref: please, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just thinking out loud. Anyway you should be getting back to your friends.

(Y/n): yeah, they're probably wondering where I am. But I have to say, the people on the main land make you out to be some kind of evil wizard who kills people for the hell of it, but through this whole conversation you haven't acted like that at all.

Zeref: *sigh* that may be true, but it would seem that needs to change. In order to stop this body of mine from leaving death in it's wake, I must forget the importance of life.

(Y/n): um, I should go and find my friends, thanks for the info about my sword.

Zeref: before you go, I have 1 question to ask you.

(Y/n): ok, shoot.

Zeref: what is Natsu to you?

I thought for a moment.

(Y/n): I guess he's like a little brother to me.

Zeref: ha, if that's the case can you promise me something?

(Y/n): that depends, what is it?

Zeref: promise me you'll take care of him.

I was a little surprised by his request, but I smiled.

(Y/n): consider it done.

I walked away to the camp limp with the cane keeping me up. Before he was out of sight I heard him speak again.

Zeref: may Acnologia have mercy on you.