Bandaids and Glitter

Narrator's POV

"Hmph." Tony groaned in bed as his hands once again felt empty. It was 11:42 at night. The moon was shining beautifully through the window of room 205, but still not illuminating enough to see well. Stephen wasn't in bed with him...what would his wizard be doing up so late at night? His cloak was gone too. Tony slowly sat up, squinting in the dark. "Wizard." He whispered and listened for any sound.

Tony's head perked up when he heard sniffling. He looked around, no one was in the room. He got up to investigate. He noticed there was a dim light coming from a crack in the bathroom door. That's weird. His wizard never left the bathroom door opened, he was scared of boogies. Oh, how cute. He went over to his nightstand and grabbed a baseball bat. He carefully and quietly approached the bathroom door. He put his hand on the door, holding the bat in the other, and slowly pushed the door open.

He peeked in. "Wizard?" He asked, recognizing the blue stripped pajamas.

Stephen was sitting on the ground with his legs to the side. He wiped his hands across his face and sniffled. "Oh, Tony." He said. His voice trembled. He wiped his face a few more times and put on a smile before turning to Tony.

"What are you- Are you okay?" Tony asked him, lowering the bat.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" Stephen faked a laugh.

"Were you crying?" Tony approached Stephen slowly.

"No, no. I was just washing my face, and soap got in my eye."

"You do know you're a terrible liar, right?" Tony said, giving him a small smile. Stephen didn't say anything. He just looked at Tony, water pools started forming in his eyes. His eyebrows pointed up and his smile slowly converted into a frown. "Stephen..."

Stephen let go. Tears streamed down his cheeks and he whined. "It hurts Tony." He showed his hands to Tony. They were shaking, not the shaking Tony was used to, no. This shaking was more aggressive, and by the looks of it; painful.

Tony could tell Stephen was in pain. The tears wouldn't stop coming, and the wizard was trying so hard not to let cries and whimpers out; but sometimes he just couldn't help it. It was very painful.

Tony sat next to Stephen and put the bat down. "Stephen-" He reached for one of the wizard's shaking hands.

"Stop! Tony!" Stephen cried and pulled away. Tony backed off and staid quiet. "It hurts! It really hurts."

"What happened? Tell me what happened." Tony spoke gently, being a little more careful.

"I-I don't know. It just ha-mmm!" Stephen bit his lip, whimpering. He shut his eyes tightly. "It just happens." He sniffled. "I don't know wHY!" He cried. The joints in his fingers locked, then popped. "I d-damaged the nerves in my hands when I was you-nger." He groaned. He looked down at his trembling hands. "Ah!" He gasped, closing his eyes tightly and biting his lips.

"Oh my god. Stephen, you're bleeding." Tony said, looking down at Stephen's hands. There were lines of blood from his knuckles to the top part of his wrist.

"Mhm." Stephen nodded, still trying to hold back cries as he bit his lip. He only let small gasps and whispers escape his mouth.

Tony felt terrible for him. There wasn't anything he could for his wizard at the moment, other than just comfort him. He sighed and wrapped his arms around Stephen, pulling him close. Stephen accepted his invitation and leaned against Tony. He laid his head on Tony's shoulder, whining and groaning in pain. "Shh..." Tony caressed Stephen's head, stroking his soft hair. "It's okay. It's okay..." Tony whispered. He felt tears soak his shoulder. "I'm here. I've got you." Tony sighed, holding Stephen close.

///0///0

"Sometimes they do that."

"Why?"

"Well, when they did the first three surgeries; the fibroblasts were so damaged that the connective tissues that made the scar tissue for the incisions would tear on their own and bleed."

Stephen and Tony were sitting on the roof of the dorm, discussing Stephen's hands. Their legs dangled from the edge. The night was starry. It looked like someone had splashed the dark sky with silver glitter. It was beautiful.

"Then how come they don't do that all the time?" Tony asked, placing a cartoon star bandaid over one of Stephen's opened scars. There were other bandaids scattered throughout Stephen's hands and fingers. They were colorful and fun.

"I can transfer energy throughout my body and alter the energy patterns in my hands. My hands require the most in order to keep them from hurting, but sometimes the pain wins over my mind." Stephen said.

"So you're always in pain?" Tony asked, placing another bandaid over Stephen's opened skin. This one was a flower.

"Not always." Stephen said. "Sometimes other things help me over come the pain." Stephen said.

"That's why you meditate and drink tea and use incense sticks." Tony said. He had finished covering up all of Stephen's opened scars.

Stephen chuckled. "Yes, but I also enjoy them." He smiled at the beauty of the night sky. His eyes fell to the ground. He gave a small smile. "I also enjoy your company." He said.

A blush settled on Tony's cheeks. He slowly turned to Stephen. "Really?" He asked.

"Of course." Stephen smiled just thinking about all the laughs and smiles Tony had brought him. "You've brought me the most laughs and smiles in my life. I'm really glad I got roomed with you." Stephen looked at Tony.

Tony looked at Stephen. "I-I'm glad you didn't walk out on me like everyone else." Tony said. "I was so lonely before you came, and now...with you..." Tony smiled. "...I feel good. I feel happy."

"Wait." Stephen said. He grabbed the box of bandaids and took one out. He peeled it and placed it on Tony's forehead. It was a smiley face. "There." He smiled.

Tony laughed. He looked at Stephen, who was smiling at him. He had such a beautiful smile, and his eyes glittered with the moonlight. He was just perfect.

"Stephen." Tony said, leaning a little closer to Stephen.

>Ba-Dum< >Ba-Dum< >Ba-Dum<

"Yes, Tony?" Stephen asked, leaning closer as well.

Their eyes made a connection, locking. Tony took his hand and moved a hair that fell in between Stephen's eyes. He then placed that same hand on Stephen's cheek. His stomach flipped and his heart pounded in his ears. The thoughts in his head were a mess. His walls and barriers were collapsing.

Stop. Stop. No. Red flag. Alert. Alert. Stop! No, no, no, no, no. Alert!

Tony pulled Stephen into a kiss. Their lips crashed against each other. Oh, how Tony craved this moment. What was he thinking when he decided to wait for so long? That's right, he wasn't.

And that's what he was doing right now, not thinking. He was just going with the flow. And he was liking it. He was loving it. He just wanted this moment to keep going forever, but that was interrupted when he felt Stephen pull away.

Stephen's cheeks were flustered red, and he held his breath.

Tony looked at him. He had fallen in love with Stephen's soft plump lips. "Stephen... I'm sorry." He wasn't sure how his wizard would react. Stephen was quiet. "I didn't mean to. That was..." He sighed.

"Amazing?" Stephen said.

Tony picked his head up. He looked at Stephen. "Was it?" Tony asked.

"Yes. It was." Stephen turned to him, smiling.