We Lost One

Narrator's POV

"Tony! We're here!" Bruce's voice came from the door. He put the body that rode on his back down, helping them stand.

"Alina..." Came a soft voice.

Stephen looked up. He recognized that voice.

Alina looked up, her eyes filled with fear and regret suddenly. "Hazel..." She couldn't find the words.

Tony loosened his right hand, activating his blaster.

"What are you doing?" Hazel asked, tugging on Bruce's shirt, telling him to help her walk over to Alina. "This isn't you. Let Stephen go."

"I... I can't." Alina said. "I won't." Alina raised the blade.

"Alina, no!" Hazel yelped. "Think about this. You aren't like this... You wouldn't hurt anyone."

Alina put the blade down slowly.

"My brother. They... They took him from me." Tears began to pool in Alina's eyes. "I just want them to feel the same pain I do!" She raised the blade, her eyes filled with anger.

"Alina!" Hazel pushed herself off of Bruce, jumping in front of Hazel as a blue beam made its way toward her.  "Ah..." She gasped, hitting the ground hard.

"Hazel!" Alina yelped, dropping the blade, hurrying down to Hazel.

The vines around Thor and Tony loosened, setting the two free. Bruce quickly snatched Stephen away from Alina.

"I've got you. It's okay." He said, beginning to undo Stephen's retrains.

"Ah!" Stephen gasped once Bruce had untied the rag around his mouth. "Hazel!" He quickly made his way to Hazel. He held one of her hands. "Hazel, Hazel... Call Furry."

"He's on his way." Bruce said, running over to Thor. "Tony! Get the kit!"

Tony looked at Hazel, running out of the building shortly.

"Hazel." Stephen said.

"Alina." Hazel gasped.

"Hazel." Alina said, as tears made their way out of her eyes.

"Why are you crying?" Hazel asked.

"Look at you." Alina said.

Hazel did. "I'm fine. It's just a scratch." She smiled.

"Oh god..." Alina gasped, looking up, trying to avoid tears from escaping her eyes. "I'm so sorry. I-I..."

"Don't be. Please. Ngh!" Hazel groaned.

"Hazel, Hazel!" Alina yelped. She looked at Stephen who had his hand over Hazel's wound, doing some sort of magic. "What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to stabilize her. Her astral form is..." Stephen groaned. "...trying to leave. Hazel...just hold on. They're on their way."

Alina looked at Hazel. "Just hold on. You're gonna make it." She took one of Hazel's hands in hers and put it against her face, letting tears pour. "They're coming. They're coming..."

"Alina, p-please don't cry." Hazel said.

"It's my fault. I-I let all this anger... I just-" Alina choked on tears. "If I would've just... I could've..." She couldn't finish saying anything.

"N-None of this was your fault..." Hazel smiled at her. "You were confused. You didn't know any better. Pain and anger can drive us to do all sorts of things."

"I know, but I never meant for it to be you. Not you. Not now." Alina cried.

Hazel smiled. "Alina..."

"Hazel... Hazel, Hazel!" Stephen patted her cheek a few times. "Stay with us. Stay!"

"Hazel! Hazel!" Alina cried.

Stephen forced his astral form out of his body, searching around for Hazel. There she was, right next to Alina with a hand on her shoulder, smiling.

"Hazel. You have to go back." Stephen said. "Please."

"Stephen. I have lived in pain for eight years. This... This is freedom. This is release. I feel like me again. If I go back now, I will be in pain for the rest of my life." Hazel said. Stephen sighed.

She was right. Stephen didn't want his friend to slowly be dying while she was in pain. He looked up at her and nodded.

Hazel smiled at him. She kissed Alina's head. "Take good care of her for me."

"I will." Stephen said. He bowed his head, closing his eyes.

He opened his eyes, only to have cries fill his ears. He looked up at Alina, who was crying.

"Hazel! Hazel, please!" Alina cried.

"Alina..." Stephen said softly. Alina ignored him. "Alina." Alina looked up at him. Her tearful eyes filled with fear, bracing for the worst. "I'm sorry."

Alina cried, sobbing for her dead partner. Tears streamed down her face. Stephen bowed his head, sighing.

Footsteps filled his ears. Men in black suits came in, taking a hold of Alina, restraining the crying girl, pulling her away from the body on the floor. They took her away.

Stephen felt a hand on his shoulder. He nodded at the question he was asked. They left him alone in front of the dead girl's body. 

///0///0

Stephen boarded into a larger aircraft, which was being navigated by Agent Coulson, holding his bleeding shoulder. He had a blanket over him. Bruce was helping Thor up onto the ship. He had cuts all over him and a few bandages covering them. Stephen took a seat next to Tony, who had a blanket over himself. His eyes were widen, staring at his feet. 

"It's okay. It's okay." Stephen said, taking Tony into his arms and pulling him close. 

"I killed her." Tony said. "Oh god..." Tears began to fill his eyes. "Stephen, I killed her!" Tony began to sob in Stephen's arms. He buried his face into Stephen's shoulder. 

"It's okay. It's alright." Stephen held him close. "You're okay." He rubbed his shoulders. Stephen looked up at Bruce and Thor that sat across from them. Bruce gave him a small nod. 

"Ah!" Thor gasped as he tried to sit up straight. 

"No, no." Bruce helped Thor. "Let's not do that." Bruce looked back at Stephen. 

Stephen looked out of one of the windows in the aircraft and stared at the ground, watching the ground get smaller and smaller.