Part 23

I don't answer. I can feel Jayce's brown eyes looking at me, waiting for an answer. Out of all the questions he could've asked he had to ask me that question? I thinking of just telling him what he tells me " Stop asking questions." Or " Maybe one day you'll know." Which the last one was pretty true. One day he will know. Everyone will.

I sigh throwing my head back in a dramatic way then look back at Jayce with a sly grin. " Hey Jayce."

" Hey Kenna."

" Guess what?"

" What?"

" Chicken butt- just kidding the real thing I was going to say was you'll figure it out in time!" I swing my legs back and forth trying to lighten the mood.

" Ha ha very funny." Jayce says sarcastically " But really. Are you alright?"

" Are you really asking me this?"

" Yeah. People are concerned. Even me.....but only a little bit." He says as a joke but it doesn't make me laugh. Not this time.

How can some people be so good at hiding their emotions? Why can't I be like them? See, this is the problem I wanted to avoid, people being concerned and worried  for me. Am I just overreacting? No. Yes?

" Look, Jayce, your the last person I would tell- "

" Then I'll answer a question that you want to know if you answer the question that I want to know."

I roll my eyes but give in " Alright. But you go first. "

" What would you like to know?"

I need to think carefully on this one. There are soany things I want to ask him but I am limited to only one. That's when the question appears and I swear I could see a light bulb light up above my head for a slight second.
I stare into his brown eyes. I used to think they were gray, but now that I can get a closer look they don't look gray, they're a dark chocolate kind of brown.

" Why was your Dad at the hospital and why haven't you reported him yet?"

" Kenna. That's two."

" But it was one sentence, therefore, it was ONE question."

Jayce scoffs and rolls his eyes, but then looks right back at me " He was there because he wanted more drugs. I haven't reported him because my brothers and I would not have anywhere else to go if they got him in jail. There was no way I would let the twins get taken away from me."

" Oh. How old are your brothers?"

" Hey now I already answered two questions."

" For the last time that was- "

" What happened to your dad Kenna?" Jayce interrupts.

I take a deep breath looking away from him for a second and then looking back " I'm not even sure myself. My mother said that he did something that he shouldn't have, but I wish I knew what he did. I mean he could've-"

" He cheated on her." Jayce states as matter as factly.

There was silence for a while, but it wasnt uncomfortable silence, it was more of a saddened silence. Before I realize it, Jayce wipes away a tear from my cheek, but more fell. Out of all the people I could cry in front of I had to cry in front of a guy that broke my nose just awanted couple of weeks ago. Pray for me. Jayce patted my shoulder in a way of comfort but I don't think he was any better at handling this. Me.

After a while I stops crying and Jayce helps me climb down from the tree. I got my hair caught in a bran h and had to gently rip my hair out from its twigs. I think this will be the only time and the last time I will be climbing a tree.

●●●●

On the drive home it was pretty silent. Neither Jayce and I had talked since my emotions so breakdown in the tree. I mean, it did help, but it was still embarrassing especially since it was with a guy I barely hang out with. Kind of.

He pulls up to my house and stops. I unbuckle my seatbelt and say thank you and run towards my house and quickly open and close the door.

" Hey sweetie. Your dad's here to take you to his house."