Part 24

My dad stepped into view with mom walking in after. He looked well, different though, and I can't seem to figure out if that's good or bad. He was wearing a dark blue jeans, a T-shirt, and a heavy green army jacket over it. He had a beard growing but he had gotten a new hair, and more gray hairs were starting to show. But even though he might of changed a little, he still had a smile on his face, and it wasn't fake.

" Hi dad." I say and walk over to him for a hug.

" Hi Kenna." He says hugging me.

We stand there for a while just hugging then let go. I take a step back feeling a little bit awkward since I hadn't seen him for about a week now and I was used to seeing him every day except for his work trips of course. I remember what Jayce had told me earlier about my dad, how he had cheated on my mom. What if he wasn't actually working on those trips. What if he went to go see another woman?

" You ready to go? Your mom packed you some things." Dad says to me knocking me out of my thoughts.

Mom walks towards me with a sad look on her face. She hands me a small backpack and brings me in for a hug. She hugs me tightly as if this will be the last time I see her, but I know its not. I hope its not.

Mom is about to let go but before she does she whispers something to me.
" It won't be for long. Just a night." She then lets go and I noticed a lint of worry in her eyes as if something might happen to me which is outrageous, nothing would happen to me while I'm with dad. Right?

" I love you mom." I say.

" I love you too. Have fun at your dad's."

" I'll try." I joke, trying to lighten up the mood but it doesn't work.

I turn to my dad " You ready to go?" I ask.

My dad nods and we walk out the door towards his van. A van that he's had since I was little. A van that he's had people in. Other women. I try to erase those thoughts from my head. Jayce had to be wrong, my dad would never do that. Ever.

I open the passenger seat and hop in, and Dad starts the car. I close the door and we're off, leaving my comfort of what I thought would be my only knew home far behind.

●●●●

" What do you think?" Dad asks as we walk into the doorway.

It was a huge house, definitely not what I had expected from a middle school teacher living in his own. He could've gotten help. I shake that thought aside and start to look around. The living room, dining room, game room, and hallways all had wooden floors. It was a two story house with 5 bedrooms, 3 bathroom, and a huge backyard with a pool and hot tub. How could he afford it?

" This is amazing." I say coming into the kitchen.

The kitchen was huge. With granite countertops, an island, and light gray cabinets. There was even a wine cabinet and a built in toaster.

" I'm glad you like it." Dad says going to the fridge and taking out the jam for P.B+Js, it used to be my favorite in middle school, I would always pack it for lunch everyday.

" If you don't mind me asking......how did you- "

" I had some help.....from.....a friend." He interrupts me.

And the only thing now I can do is pray. I keep doubting my dad more and more and now I have reasons. Maybe, by a slight chance, Jayce was right, then what would happen? Can I ever forgive my dad if I found out. Will I? Then my phone rings. I walk out of the kitchen and towards the back yard putting the phone up to my ear.

" Hello?" I ask.

" Hey! This is Olivia."

" Hey Olivia what's up?"

" Well uh, did you hear?"