Chapter LXIII: What Lays Below The Ice.

"Come on Clem, it'll be fun." Louis gave her a little nudge on her arm, egging her on. 

Clem tried her best not to show that she was shitting herself on the inside. 

Every time she looked at the ice, she felt her fear swallow her, remembering how she fell through it once. 

She was eleven. 

She remembered that evening as clear as day. No matter how much shit she'd encountered over the years of living in the apocalypse, that will always be one of the most vivid memories in her mind. 

--------------

"You're light enough, just go get him!" Bonnie yelled, trying her best to push Clem into saving Luke. 

"Stop telling her that! Just cover me, Clem!" Luke's voice was angry and worried at the same time. 

The walkers began closing in, Clem only had a second to decide before the mini herd would tear Luke apart... or even... take him down in the water and give him a slow, horrifying, painful death, taking any chance of saving him away.

"If there's too much weight on the ice, we're all gonna fall through! Just cover me, please!" Luke used all his energy to go against Bonnie's decision. Bonnie's lip began to tremble as she started to think. 

"I'll go. Cover us!" She nodded her head before walking over to Luke cautiously, holding her arms out. You could tell her heart was in her ass.

The sounds of the gunfire was for sure going to bring more walkers to the area. 

The ice cold air, the frozen lake, the sounds of heavy breathing and the anticipation was all weighing down on Clementine's shoulders. She knew if they died, it would be her fault. 

She finally reached Luke and stuck her arm out. 

He extended his arm to reach her, but the sudden movement made the ice crack even more. 

Both of them fell through. 

Clem stood there in shock for a split second before she heard knocking on the ice below her. 

Her head snapped in the direction, hoping it was Luke as she ran over. 

It was him. 

She began to beat the ice with the butt of the gun, breaking through the ice, not stopping until she saw water. 

She'd finally created a hole. 

She waited for a sign of life again. 

Luke popped his head out of the water, gasping for air. Clementine grabbed his hand, trying to help him out. 

She wrapped both of her small hands around his wrists and pulled with all her might, only to be yanked back down into the water with him. 

She'd luckily took a deep breath before making contact with the water. 

Her body stinging from the sudden chill, her mind barely able to function, her heart racing, beating a mile a minute. 

She felt a pair of hands wrap around her ankle. 

She looked down and saw a walker. 

Kicking with all her might, she was still unable to get it to release her from its grasp. It wasn't much power due to the fact that they were underwater.

Its teeth were so close to sinking into her leg. She did her best to yank it away, but to no avail, she couldn't. 

Everything moved in slow motion. 

Just centimeters away from sinking its teeth into her skin as she still tried to fight it off. 

Just before it finally got a taste of her, Luke came and dragged it away from behind. 

Clem swam to the top, looking back down for Luke, only to see him being dragged down to the bottom by the same walker trying to eat her just a few seconds ago.

Luke hadn't won the fight. 

He was torn to pieced as if he wasn't a human. Like he was a piece of chicken. She just watched as it ate away at his body. A few more walkers joined in and began to feast. 

The water was red. There was nothing she could do. 

She started to cry, not even realizing the lack of air until she was pulled out of the hole by Jane. 

"I've got you, I've got you. It's okay." Jane swore as she picked Clementine's freezing body up and ran to the house that Arvo promised was safe. Just like he promised the lake was safe to cross. 

As they ran, Clementine looked back, watching Bonnie pull herself from the ice hole and running with them. 

Luke wasn't with her. 

------------------

"Louis, I can't." Clem trembled as she stood on the grass in front of the frozen body of water. 

Violet came up behind Clem and put her hand on her shoulder, causing her to get elbowed in her stomach. It knocked the wind out of her.

"Shit, I'm so so so sorry." She instantly apologized after seeing who it was. 

"Damn. Fatality." Louis chuckled before making sure she was okay. 

"I'm fine. It's fine. Shit..." She stood up straight and put her hands on her hips. 

"I didn't know it was you, I'm sorry." 

"Well, I shouldn't have snuck up on you... I mean, it wasn't on purpose though... But it's kinda what I get. Now I have this, plus cramps. What a day." She sarcastically finished off with a small smile, holding her stomach. 

"Well, on the bright side, that might've ended your period." Louis nudged her with his elbow, earning a glare from both girls.

"At this point, I've received several beatdowns from the both of you, so whatever comes next is expected... but let's hold it off until we get across the lake." He threw a wink at the couple and began to walk across.

Clem looked at her lover then back at the lake, "You sure it's safe?" She asked with concern, watching Louis skate across like it was nothing. 

"I promise Clem. Brody already checked it out. Everything is good. It's frozen solid." Violet gave her a small reassuring smile before stepping onto the ice, almost losing her balance as doing so.

Violet was waiting for Clem to join her so they could walk across together. 

"Come on babe, it'll be okay." Violet reached her hand out to her girlfriend who was practically shaking. 

Clem reached her hand out and intertwined her fingers with Violet's. "You promise it's safe?" 

"I promise Clem, you know I wouldn't lie if I didn't know the truth." 

"I love you, Vi."

"I know." 

Clementine glared at her, squinting her eyes, practically murdering her with her look.

"I love you too."