Chapter LXXVII: Knight In Shining Armor. (Part IV)

*Clementine's POV*

My father gave me a look of shock for a quick second, Looking between King Louis and Violet, praying that he didn't catch a glimpse of the intimacy that was shared between us. "Clementine, join me in the hall for a moment?" He offered, making my heart beat at a speed never achieved before. I quickly pushed out my chair, giving Louis a flash of a smile before heading out into the hall to meet with my father as asked. 

He stood with his arms folded and a heated look on his face. "Would you care to tell me what happened between you and that girl?" He raised one of his eyebrows with a look of anger written all over him. 

I decided it would be best to take a moment to myself and give him some time to relax as well. 

"Father, with all due respect, I do not want to marry him," I confessed below a whisper. His reaction will not be pleasant in the slightest bit. "That is the kingdom policy. You do not have a choice. Either you marry him, or we risk not having someone to be the heir to the throne."  Father warned, speaking just above a whisper, getting even more furious with every word. "I refuse to marry who I do not love." 

After those words, I remembered what I got from my mother. How much she taught me... Father hated that about me. I was always my own person and followed my heart rather than orders. 

"Why is it that I cannot rule the kingdom without him leeching off of me? That is not a man. That is a boy."

"You are certainly mistaken. He has proven himself to me multiple times. He is the top of his class in every single subject. That is the man for you." He proceeded to try his best to convince me, but my stubbornness would not allow it. "I do not love him. I love her. I will not be unhappy for the rest of my life because of a decision you think is right. Either I rule the kingdom by my lonesome or I don't rule the kingdom at all. Make your choice and choose wisely."

He returned the same cold eyes I gave him without a second thought, his face hardened and he said something I never thought he would say. "Either you rule the kingdom with him or the girl gets executed. Choose. Now. Make your decision."

My heart felt light for a second,  embracing the words that slipped out of his mouth without a stutter or hesitation leaving my eyebrows furrowed with anger, my cheeks red as well.

 "I love her, father! Mother always taught me to follow my heart no matter what people think. My heart is telling me to choose her and so I will. If you decide to pull through with the execution, I'll be sure to let everyone know why and how terrible you've been as you've played your role as a father in this family. Ever since mother's passing, you've abandoned me, left me with the guards for days on top of days and weeks on top of weeks. What in that simple-minded brain of yours makes you believe that you deserve my respect? You do not. Mother deserved better. You could have protected her. You could have saved her. You could have done something! But all you care about is your kingdom and how others view you... not enough about your family... and if you would've hired the right guards, she'd still be alive." 

He stood silently. His eyes were no longer in contact with mines as he stood in shame. His posture weakened as he let out a sigh of defeat. 

(Brace yourselves children.) 

"Clementine... I have something that I need to confess." He kept his eyes down, seeming as though he was guilty in some way. "I was the one... I was the one who sent the assassin... For your mother." 

----------------------------------------------------------------

*Violet's POV*

King- Prince- Louis and I heard the entire conversation. What was last said left us stuck in awe. I gave the prince a questioning look, asking him with my eyes if I had heard correctly. His eyes were widened in shock, so, I must've heard him clearly. 

I stood by the door with my head down, contemplating the actions I should proceed to take. If I stand up against the king, I may get executed... But If I do not, I may lose the love of my life due to heartbreak. 

I swung the door open, meeting with Clementine who had tears streaming down her face and her father who stood silently with sadness written all over him. 

She slowly made her way to me and wrapped her arms around my neck, her legs falling weak and her tears hitting the cloth of my shirt. I wrapped my arms around her waist, comforting her in a hug.

"Clementine, I had to. Otherwise, it would have been you. I had to make the hard call. " The king continued on, feeling shameful of his actions and what they resulted in. Clementine continued to cry onto my shoulder, making him earn a glare from me. In this case, it was reasonable.

"I knew it." She whispered into my shoulder, releasing a shaky sigh afterward. "Do you know who did this?" I spoke confidently, looking him in his sad eyes. "A woman from the village... her name is Lilly." 

Lilly... The same woman who made me the knight I am... She didn't cancel me out because I was a girl... Trained me just as hard as the boys. I'm not surprised. After we grew up and found our own paths through life, she fell apart. Especially after her husband's death. Why did it have to be her out of everyone living in the kingdom? 

Who knows how many people she's done this to? How many people are worried sick about their families and their protection? How many parents guard their children, praying she wouldn't come creeping through their window? She's the one they call... Deadstrike.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'll just make the last chapter to this long so I can finish it once and for all. Enjoy.