Chapter LXXX: Settlers.

(Italics = Past, Regular font = present )

As the tribe leader's daughter, I can assure you that it's a bit more complicated than you think. Yes, I have benefits, but those benefits are... they don't come in handy when you're in love with a puritan. She was one of the first settlers. She speaks what they call English.

She was more capable than the others. Something about her stood out. She differentiated from the rest. She was young with blonde hair, green eyes, and a precious smile. Something that seemed rare among the settlers was happiness. None of them even grinned, but, when she did, she lit all of the land up. My heart felt light when I first looked into her eyes. Her voice raspy, yet soft... She was perfect.

As much as I think I like her, father would never allow it. She's a white woman. He wants us to stay in our tribe to continue to make purebred children. But you can't control who you fancy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can you... help us... plant corn?" Violet asked with various hand movements between pauses, doing her best to demonstrate the gestures. Clementine nodded peacefully. She was one of the few who had picked up on the English language quickly, so, she was also one of the main sources of communication between the settlers and the tribe members.

She took a few steps forward before realizing the European girl wasn't following. "Come." She grinned again, motioning for her to follow. Violet gave a sheepish smile as the sweet sound of the girl's voice filled the quiet air and made her heart skip.

She watched the native girl grab a stick and stab the ground with it three times, moving the dirt away from the holes she made. "Copy." Clementine instructed, handing her the stick. Violet jabbed the ground with slight force, just as the almond skinned girl did.

"Seed?" Clementine held her hand out for the small beads. The green-eyed girl carefully dropped them in her hands, being sure not to drop any. "Thank you."

She dropped a seed in each hole she made, turning back to see if the girl was doing the same.

With every time she turned back to look, they cheesed at each other, making their hearts flutter and their cheeks redden. Life was great. Love was something that they found. Happiness is what they achieved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They killed one of our traders! They've been plotting on us the entire time!" Marlon yelled, pointing his finger at the tribe leader. He was one of the captains of the boat they came on, why wouldn't they believe him.

Lee looked at his daughter, Clementine, fearfully for translation. She raised her eyebrows with confusion, not knowing what the sudden shouting was about.

Violet came out of one of the huts with the same look the tribe leader had cemented on his features. "What?"

"You heard me correctly. They killed one of our tradesmen in cold blood!" Marlon reissued with even more anger the second time around.

"That's nonsense. They wouldn't do that! Think about how much they've helped us! They wouldn't teach us all of these things just to kill us later on! If they wanted us dead, we'd be stagnant!" Violet shouted, defending her lover and her compatriots.

"You're calling me a liar, woman?" Marlon put his hands on his hips, trying his best to intimidate the girl. "I never said that! I said, they would never do that. They're the reason we're alive!"

"We did not hurt anyone. We are peace." Clementine spoke her best English, backing Violet up and representing her family. "See? They don't even like to kill animals!" Violet threw her hands up in frustration.