Ch. 33: Funeral

Five days go by. Your mom had been cremated. Her funeral is this evening at the funeral home. Her ashes are at the funeral home in a box right now. You're upstairs and the maids are getting a black dress on you. They're pinning your hair up halfway.

You say, "Are the Delightful Children and the baby ready?" One maid says, "Yes, ma'am." You say, "Good. I've got family visiting from Japan. My grandma's here, too." One of the maids says, "I'm very sorry about your mom, dear." You say, "Thank you, Wanda." They continue getting you ready.

You hear this, "(Y/N)." You look over to see Father. You sigh and you hold your hand out. He walks over and the maids step aside. He pulls you close to himself and you look at him. You stroke his face and you say, "I love you." He says, "I love you too, sweetheart. You know I'm here for you. You need anything, just ask baby."

You put your hands on his face and you lean in to kiss him. He kisses you back. You pull apart and you say, "We need to be ready to go soon." He says, "I know. The Delightful Children have Judith. They sure are protective of her." You smile and you say, "Yeah. I know."

You both head out of the room and the maids walk out as well. You see the Delightful Children walking over. David has Judith. They're all wearing black instead of the girls wearing their usual white dresses and boys wearing their usual blue outfits. Judith's in a blue dress.

You say, "You children ready to go to your grandma's funeral?" They say, "Yes, mother." Father says, "Hand me Judith, children." They say, "Yes, father." They hand the baby to him and he takes her. He says, "Let's go." You all head out.

******************************************

An hour later, you're at the funeral home. Your family is there. Some from Japan, too. There's a box and there are pictures of Megumi from childhood to recent. There's a picture of her possibly at the age of eighteen and you're in it. You were possibly three years old since she had you at fifteen years of age, so the picture was taken around 1993. There are pictures of her and Genki as kids, too.

Kuki and Mushi are looking at pictures. Kuki sees one with Megumi and Genki when they were little. She points to little Genki and says, "Mama. This looks like Mushi." Genki says, "That's me, honey. When I was five. Your aunt was eleven years old. Just four years before she had (Y/N)."

Kuki says, "Oh, that's right. She had her at fifteen, didn't she?" Genki says, "Yes." Mushi says, "What year was (Y/N) born, mama?" Genki says, "1990, dear. I was nine years old at the time." Kuki says, "Seeing these pictures doesn't make her seem like she was a bad mom."

Genki sighs and says, "Things aren't always as they seem, honey. But she was your aunt. My sister. (Y/N)'s mother." She sighs and says, "Girls. Go get something to eat. It's in the lounge." Mushi says, "Okay, mama." Kuki says, "Come on, Mushi." They walk off.

You come walking by and you say, "Hi, aunt Genki." She faces you and you hug each other. You pull away and you look at pictures. You sigh. She says, "I know. You never know what you have until it's gone." You say, "And unfortunately, she didn't have much of me because of... how she was. That's why you took me from her. But you did the right thing. Still... I didn't wish THIS." You sigh.

Father, now Benedict comes over. He's wearing his white shirt with the red suspenders. Black pants, black bow tie, etc. You hug him and he holds you close. He says, "Quite a nice setup here, babe." You say, "Aunt Genki here set the photos up." Benedict says, "How about I get some wine, later? I figured you'll need it." You say, "That would be great, sweetie. I really could use a drink."

You sigh and you feel tears in your eyes. He holds you close and you sniffle. You hear this, "(Y/N)." You pull away and you look to see who it is. It's your dad, Derek. You say, "D-daddy?" He says, "Sweetheart. Come here." Benedict lets you go and you hug your dad. He hugs back and you sob a bit. He says, "I know, baby. I know. I didn't wish this upon her, either."

You say, "She... she died in my arms, daddy. I had to pull the car parts out of her chest, myself." You sniffle. He sighs and says, "Baby. I regret not being around you more often." You pull away. He looks at you and says, "I could've taken you, myself. But I was a messed up teen, still living with my mom and dad the time you were born. We ended up moving away. I told them wait. Let me grab my daughter. They declined it. I was doing drugs then, too. I wasn't leaving YOU, (Y/N). Not at all. But you know... your mom and I were only fifteen when you were born."

You say,"Daddy. I get it. You were a kid yourself and doing stupid shit." He says, "You were lucky to have Genki and Kani around. And that bastard Ronnie Jacobs? I could've killed him if I had the chance. Abuse MY little girl, will he?"

You say, "But things have gotten better since I ended up with Benedict here. Five adopted children and one biological one. I'm engaged now. See?" You show him your ring. He says, "Hey, that's great. Who has the little one right now?" You say, "My Delightful Children."

Benedict says, "Those five are extremely protective of her. I suggest you be careful around them when they've got Judith." Derek says, "Is that her name?" You say, "Yeah. She's two months old. I can find the children and take you to see her." Derek says, "That would be great. I never got a chance to see her, yet. I just showed up."

You look at Benedict and you say, "Babe. I'll be right back." He says, "Alright. Bring her back when you come back, would you?" You smile and you nod. You and your dad walk off. You find the Delightful Children and Nigel, Kuki and Abby in the lounge fighting over a piece of cake.

You say, "Children." The Delightful Children immediately stop and they face you. Ashley's got Judith. They say, "Hello, mother." You say, "I'll need you five in the parlor in ten minutes. I'm taking Judith. My dad wants to see her." They say, "Yes, mother." They hand you the baby and you take her.

You say, "Daddy. Here she is." Derek sees her and he smiles saying, "Well... Look at that. My grandbaby." He takes her and she coos. The Delightful Children have that look on their faces and they say, "Careful with our sister, Mr. (L/N)." You sternly say, "Children." They say, "Sorry, mother."

Nigel stifles a laugh and he mumbles, "They're more obedient towards your cousin than they are to Father, Numbuh 3." Abby chuckles and says, "Yeah. Really. It's the mother effect." The Delightful Children look at them and they say, "Mind your own business, Kids Next Door. She is OUR Mother." 

You say, "Remember. Ten minutes." The Delightful Children say, "Yes, mother." You look at Nigel, Kuki and Abby and you say, "That includes you guys." They nod. Kuki says, "Okay, (Y/N). Sorry about your mom. My aunt."

You say, "It's not your fault, hon. All of us were there at the gas station when she died in my arms. I'll meet you all in the parlor." Nigel says, "We'll be there... aunt (Y/N)." You and your dad walk out taking the baby with you.

You get back to the parlor and you walk to Benedict. He smiles as he sees Judith. He says, "Ah, there she is." You say, "The Delightful Children had her." He says, "I'm fully aware." Derek says, "She's beautiful, guys. Great job. Happy to see her." You smile and you say, "She's your granddaughter. You can see her anytime you want, daddy."

Derek looks down at her and she smiles up at him. Benedict says, "She smiles at everybody. Even the Kids Next Door." You giggle a bit and you say, "She's a baby. She doesn't know any better. Not yet." Derek looks at Judith and he smiles and says, "Nah. I'm no foe, am I?" Judith smiles and coos.

Moments later, the Delightful Children come into the parlor and so do the Kids Next Door They all ended up there too. You all have the memorial service and you talk to family the rest of the time. Benedict is sitting next to you and comforting you as you'd cry at times during the service.