Ch. 58: Violet's Intelligence

You and Father head upstairs to Judith's room because you both knew she would have Violet with her. You get to her door and you hear this, "Alright Violet. I'm going to point out the colors of these lipsticks and I want you to tell me what they are."

Right inside, Judith and Violet are sitting on the bed. Judith shows her and says, "Can you say red?" Violet notices a slightly darker color and says, "Burgundy." Judith says, "Huh?" She looks and says, "Well. I guess... it is darker than normal red." She gets out another color and Violet says, "Purple plum." Judith says, "Wait." She looks at the bottom to see the name. She says, "Holy crap. You're right."

She hears a knock and says, "Who is it?!" She hears you say, "Judith sweetie! Your daddy and I need Violet for a moment!" Judith says, "Okay!" You and Father come in and you walk over. Violet smiles and says, "Mommy! Daddy!"

Father says, "Alright, my little fireball. Come with us." He picks her up and you say, "We need to try something out. Something we think we've figured out about Violet." Judith nods. You kneel down to Judith and you say, "We'll call you down when dinner's ready, sweetie." She says, "Okay, mama." You and Father lean down to kiss her on the cheek. You head out of her room with Violet.

Moments later, you're in the living room with Violet. You're testing to see how smart she really is. You and Father were noticing signs as to why she speaks so clearly for a two year old. She's teaching her autistic cousin Cody how to speak and they're the same age. And so on.

Violet's sitting on the floor and looking up at you and Father. You say, "Okay, baby. Daddy and I are gonna give you a piece of paper and a crayon to see if you can spell any word. Okay?" She nods. Father lays a piece of paper down and you give her a purple crayon. She giggles saying, "Violet! I'm Violet, too! But I'm not a crayon." Father says, "She didn't even look at the name."

You both look at her. You say, "Spell... mommy." She writes it down on the piece of paper and you gasp. You say, "Ben! Look!" He says, "Yes. I see that. Good job, baby." Violet looks up at you guys, giggling.

You take that and Father lays another piece of paper down. He says, "Now spell... daddy." She writes that down too. He says, "Holy crap. Less than five seconds, too." You take the piece of paper and you put another one down. You say, "Spell your name, honey." Violet writes her own name in less than six seconds.

You say, "Oh wow. Ben. She... she wrote her own name and it didn't even take her long." He says, "I wonder." He takes the piece of paper and he lays a new one down. He says, "Alright. Write these.... I." She writes the word I. He says, "Am." She writes that.

By the end of it she ended up writing these, "I am Violet. I'm two years old. I live in the Delightful Mansion." You and Father were impressed with this. A two year old who can read and write perfectly. You take the paper and you say, "Violet. Come here, sweetie." She stands up and she crawls upon the couch.

She sits on your lap. You say, "You're a very smart girl. Very smart." Father says, "Yeah. Just about as smart as your Delightful siblings." Violet smiles and says, "Delightfuls?!" You say, "Yeah. When they find out about your intelligence, they might think you're one of them." You look at Father saying, "Jokingly." Violet says, "But... I'm not pretty."

You and Father gasp in shock. You look at her and she's got the sad look. She looks away saying, "I'm not pretty. I'll never be like sissy." You say, "Baby. Don't ever say that." You hold her close and she hugs you. You look at Father and you say, "Ben. Despite her intelligence, she's still a girl. She may end up having some insecurities one day."

He says, "You know. I wonder about Judith sometimes, too. She seems to resent us whenever we talk to Jasper." You say, "But why? She's our baby." He says, "We'll find out, later." You and Father are completely unaware that Judith had been eavesdropping and she huffs. She walks off.

She gets upstairs and says, "Ha. Me? Insecure? No way. I've got what I want. I'm the most popular girl in Gallagher Elementary. I'm rich. I have everything a girl could ever dream of. I'm gonna have all the ones below me bowing down to me. Well, Rabbit Girl especially." She giggles.

She gets in her room and she shuts her door. Her smile fades and she says, "Stupid Jasper always gets the love. I take Violet away sometimes so she won't get as much of it from mom and dad. But no... there they are giving her attention too because she's ooh so smart. And Jasper's just ooh so precious to them. What about me?!"

Her bottom lip quivers and she whispers, "I feel like mommy and daddy only act like they feel sorry when in reality... they don't." She puts her hands up to her face and tears fall from her eyes. She whispers, "I just need their love." She sniffles. She sighs and she moves her hands away. She walks to her bed and she gets upon it. She lays back and she sighs.

***********************************

Later on at night, you and Benedict are in your room. You're sitting on his lap as you both kiss. He's got his arms around your back and he reaches a hand down to your butt, squeezing it. You moan into the kiss.

You pull away and you say, "Ben." He says, "Yeah, honey?" You say, "The kids are still up." He says, "What? They can't hear us." You say, "Not that. I mean that we still need to talk to Jasper. You know, about Katherine."

He says, "Oh crap. You're right." You say, "Come on. While he's still awake. We are bailing her out tomorrow, are we not? Besides, everyone deserves a second chance, right?" He says, "No no. You're right, babe. Let's go." You and Benedict get up and you walk out of your room.