Ch. 34: We Love You, Mother

It's 11pm now.  You, Benedict, Judith and the Delightful Children are back at home after your mom's funeral. You're sitting at the table in the dining room, having a glass of wine. You sigh. You take a drink of your wine. You put the glass down and you rest your elbows on the table. You put your hands up to your face and you start sobbing.

You suddenly hear this, "Mother." You sniffle and you move your hands away. You sigh and you say, "H-hey, children." You look to see that they have Judith. You say, "Hand her here." They give you the baby and you take her. You sigh. They say, "Mother." You look at them. They've got sad expressions on their faces.

You say, "Yeah. She wasn't the greatest mother... but part of me wants her back. Give her a chance to think things over. Even get to hold Judith. But... she's gone. She'll never get that chance." Constance puts her hand on your face and they say, "We'll be with you, mother. When you get tired. We hate to see you so upset."

You sigh and you say, "I love you guys." You hug them and they hug back. They say, "We love you too, mother. Nobody's gonna hurt you or Judith." You pull away and you say, "You're good siblings to her. Thank you. Be ready for bed. Judith's gotta sleep soon, too." They say, "Yes, mother. Um..."

You say, "Yes?" They look at you and they say, "We never usually ask this of you since it's not really a thing we often do." You say, "What is it, children? You can tell mama anything." They say, "Can we sleep with you, tonight? We figured you'd needed the comfort after your mother passed away."

You say, "You know what? Yes... You can." They smile and Ashley strokes your hair. They say, "Thank you, mother. As long as we know you feel safe, we're happy." You say, "I should be telling the five of YOU that. I am your... Mother." They say, "If we see that Ronnie Jacobs guy you've mentioned before, we'll destroy him instead of the Kids Next Door."

You look at them. They say, "Nobody hurts our mother." You sigh and you smile saying, "Awe, children." You kiss each of them on the cheek. You lean down and you kiss Judith on the cheek. She coos. You say, "I think it's bedtime for you, little missy.~" She looks up at you.

You look at the Delightful Children and you say, "Do mama a favor, would you?" They say, "Yes, mother?" You say, "Could the five of you take your sister upstairs? Put her to bed." They say, "Yes, mother. We'll take it from here." They take her and you say, "Thank you."

They walk off. Ashley's got the baby. They look down at Judith saying, "We love you, little sister. Anyone hurts you, we'll make them wish the Delightful Children never existed." Judith smiles up at her siblings. They take her upstairs.

You smile and you say, "Made me feel better." You drink your wine. You suddenly see Father walking in. He says, "Hey." You say, "Hi, baby." He walks over and he says, "I see the Delightful Children had a talk with you." You say, "Ben. They wanna sleep with us, tonight."

He says, "Hey, that's fine." You say, "Really?" He says, "Yeah. Not something I often allow, but you lost your mom babe. The children want to be with you." You smile and you say, "I love you, Ben."

He says, "I love you too. So much. Did the Delightful Children take Judith upstairs?" You say, "Yeah." He grabs a wine glass and he sits down. He grabs the bottle and pours some. He puts the bottle down and he takes a drink. He says, "I'm sorry about your mom, babe."

You grab his hand and you look at him. You say, "That makes two of us. I know you lost yours when you and Monty were just kids." He says, "Yeah. The one parent who gave a shit about me and I lost her. I was seven years old, babe. Just seven. She died right in front of me just like yours did a few days ago."

You say, "Yeah. But you were just a little boy." He says, "Let's finish our glass of wine. We'll get some rest." You say, "Yeah. Okay." You and Father drink a few more sips of wine, then you head upstairs.

You get to your room and you get inside. You get undressed. Father watches you and he smirks. You say, "I know you're watching me.~" He says, "You're so beautiful.~" You say, "Not tonight, sweetie. Remember? The Delightful Children." He says, "Oh. Right."

You get in a short sleeve shirt and shorts. He says, "No cute short nightgown?~" You say, "Not around the children, babe." He says, "Alright, alright." You smirk and you say, "Believe me. If they weren't sleeping with us tonight, I'd like to see YOU in a pair of red speedos, handcuffed to the bed. Father or Ben. Either way, you'd look so good.~" He blushes. You giggle. He says, "You sure are a naughty little thing.~"

You hear a knock on the door. You say, "Come in, children." The door opens and sure enough, there's the Delightful Children. They walk in and they say, "Father. We want to sleep in here. With mother." He says, "Alright. Just for tonight." They all smile and they say, "Yay."

The Delightful Children climbs upon the bed and they all lay down. You get on the bed too. You lay in between Bruce and Constance. You guys hear crying and Father says, "I'll get her." He walks out of the room. Constance is kind of braiding strands of your hair as you all wait for Father to come back.

He comes back with Judith and he says, "It's alright, baby. Daddy's got you." You say, "Ben. Come here. Bring her with." He says, "Looks like the entire family's sleeping on one bed." He gets on the bed and he lays Judith down next to Ashley. She holds her close.

You look at the couple of braids in your hair and you say, "Wow, Constance. You're really good at that, hon." They say, "Thank you, mother." You lay down. Father lays down. He sighs and he says, "You know? This isn't so bad. Having the kids in bed with us."

You say, "No. It's not." They say, "Goodnight, mother. Goodnight, father." Father says, "Yeah. Goodnight, children." You say, "Goodnight my delightful darlings. My baby girl." Judith coos. David pulls the string to the lamp and turns it off. You all fall asleep.