Cold

Author's Pov

On Cadenza's way to her office she accidentally bumped into Barry. His strong fragrant perfume entered her nostrils, she looked at him but she only met his cold and distant gaze.

She shivered as she remembered the dream she had.

"Oh you finally had the guts to show yourself? When my grandfather was sick you didn't bother showing yourself and now that he's fine you even came from your Vasiliev mansion all the way here. Cadenza, Cadenza are you really desperate and impatient to finally have the Mafia in your own hands? I'll tell you I'll gladly shove it down to your throat. Stop with your acting being so affectionate towards my grandfather but the truth is you don't really care. You and your dirty little tricks have no place in this mansion" he mocked as he gave her a disdainful look.

Cadenza surpressed the urge to beat him down, her hands were curled into fists. But her head was in a pool of confusion, what happened to him? These days he's giving her a cold shoulder and she could barely bear with it.

"Young Master that's enough, to ridicule a girl is not a gentleman should do" Collin's voice caught their attention.

"In her case you still consider her as a girl?"

Collin and Cadenza watched his figure disappear, as the two of the entered her office she immediately sat in her chair. She felt that she had just encountered a great battle and barely came out alive, her heart felt so heavy as Barry's words kept echoing in her head.

"Don't take it to the heart" Collin passed her a glass of cold water. Cadenza looked at him with a questioning gaze.

"What's with his change of attitude?"

"It's not only you had Benn bothered by it, everyone in the mansion is. It probably had to do with your absence, every person needs someone to stick with them when they're in their most vulnerable state and you're the only one who could do it at that time. You're busy handling the matters if the Mafia now that the country's security had gone stricter and changes aren't something that is done easily. Plus with the matter of your family that it just so happens with Mr Kuznetsov's illness that Barry thinks that you're only using his grandfather for your own interest" Collin patiently explained as he handed her a file.

"I've investigated the accident and the results are in, I want you to personally take a look at it with your own eyes"

Cadenza's hand shook a bit and her breathing became unstable. She hesitated to take a glimpse, she looked at Collin state the report.

Collin immediately understood her gaze "One of the bodies that were found is a member of Akai Maru. We've sent men to investigate the records of Akai Maru to identify the person who would be so bold to hire and sacrifice an assassin from the biggest organization of assassins. But what's surprising is that the leads and evidences pointed to Douglas, the Celestial Mafia's consigliere. Another thing is that Margo Mavros the one who schemed you that day was also related to the Celestial Mafia, her identity? The young miss of the Celestial Mafia and that assassin were cousins who had a long history of not having such good terms with each other. She got rid of her cousin along with your family even bribing all the official investigators of altering and clearing all the fishy causes of the incident"

"I must say they really did a scheme that reached the highest level of stupidity. Lowly scums actually dares to mess with me" Cadenza spoke as her tore the papers into pieces.

"I also had a little help from your friend"

Cadenza looked at him as she raised her brow "Which friend?"

"You know that red hair guy" Collin replied as he sneakily slip out of her office, afraid of Cadenza making him personally clean her office. No matter what she's still his boss so, her words were like gold so he could only obey. Even Tyrone, Jean and Wilbur couldn't escape being her errand boys.

The doorbell rang while Charlotte was still cooking in her kitchen.

"Coming"

She opened the door and was surprised to see Barry carrying a box of cake.

"May I come in?" Barry flashed a friendly smile.

"Aren't you already treating this place like your second home?" Charlotte laughed.

"How can't I this place is too comfortable" Barry immediately laid on the sofa.

"Is that chicken soup?" Barry spoke in a spoiled manner, sniffing the fragrant aroma.

The two of them had lunch, a scenario flashed in Barry's head as she recalled the time that he made the same soup for Cadenza when she got sick. He ignored the stuffy feelings that was growing in heart, it was supposed to be a tasty soup but in his mouth it tasted so bland, he even started to think that the soup he made before tasted more ok that this.

He started to shift his attention and he racked his brains searching for something that would caught his attention.

"Isn't your birthday already in a few days? What are you planning to do?" Barry asked.

Charlotte tapped her chin with her finger trying to think "I'll just probably celebrate it in here"

"Then?"

Seeing Barry's eager face waiting for her to continue "Uhhh....t-that's all. Anyway how did you know it's my birthday?" she asked.

"It says in your Fbook account" Barry flashed her his phone which shows her social media account.

Charlotte laughed awkwardly.