Unexpected

She woke up to the sound of her alarm buzzing. Lazily, she turned it off as she got up. Beginning another day, careful to not wake the sleeping person beside her.

After getting herself ready her phone started ringing,

"Benson."

"Hey, Liv, it's Nick. I'm outside with coffee." Her partner said on the other side of the line.

"Ok I'll be down in five."  She said before hanging up.

Grabbing the rest of her stuff she made her way to the door. As she opened the door she heard his voice come from the hallway.

"Liv where are you going?" He asked, clearly still tired.

"Work, Brian." Olivia sighed as he walked towards her and grabbed her face with his hand.

"No fun before you go?" He said as he smacked her butt.

"Brian! No. I have to go to work."

"Now?" He smirked.

"Now." She said moving out of his grasp and exiting their shared apartment.

Lately, their relationship had only been going downhill. There were barely any serious conversations, the amount of dates they had dropped tremendously, and they seemed to only talk about sex.

Trying to clear her head, she smiled as she approached her partner in the car.

"Ready?" He asked, handing her her coffee.

"Ready." Olivia replied with a small smile.

•••

Walking into the precinct, she picked up on a faint smell. She couldn't put her finger on it since it was so faint, but it was almost familiar. There was nothing off, no one new, so she couldn't place the source.

Brushing it off, she decided to pick up where they left off on the William Lewis case.

She hated him.

The stuff he put women through was disgusting. It was torture. Mentally and physically.

"I can't even begin to imagine what his victims go through." Liv shook her head as they tried to pin him to a rape case. They knew he did it, but the evidence just wasn't there.

Then she smelled it again when she took a deep breath.

It was extremely faint but it was still there. It caught her attention and caused her to scan the room. Still, she couldn't figure it out. Maybe if it were stronger-

"Olivia?"Amaro said again.  

"Huh?" She responded finally hearing him.

"You okay there? What's on your mind?"

"It's nothing." She smiled. "Let's get back to work"

It was pretty late when everyone started to leave. No new cases had come for at least an hour and they were getting no where with Lewis. Everyone was stressed.

When Liv started walking home, she decided she wasn't ready to go yet. So, she stopped at a store to try to find something to eat. There was no food at the apartment. Brian wasn't working as much and he ate whatever was there.

Once at the store, Olivia roamed the isles searching for something to satisfy the low growls of her stomach. Going up and down the aisles she realized she hadn't actually been looking at what she was passing. She was too consumed by her thoughts when she got the feeling someone was staring at her.