39 Favoring Qie Over Wife (39)

The steward came forward and cupped his hands in obeisance, "Wang ye, welcome home."

The various taijians, mamas, guards, and servants knelt down, "Wang ye, welcome home."

Bai Mei Lien also paid him a curtsy with an elegant bend of her back. "Wang ye, welcome home."

Since her status was that of his official wife, Song Jia merely smiled and tilted her head, "Wang ye, welcome home."

And all throughout these various greetings, Zhao Cheng's gaze never left Song Jia, the depths of his eyes rippling with yearning. He wanted to jump down and pull her into his arms, but he casted a glance at Bai Mei Lien's swollen belly and repressed the impulse. He closed his eyes and when he opened them, it was his usual stoic look, "Father Emperor has sent word for us to visit him in the imperial palace."

His words were directed at Song Jia.

While he was on his way to the wangfu, a palace eunuch came to find him and told him about the Emperor's condition. Apparently his brothers and their wives had already been visiting him for a few days. Since he had returned to the capital, it was now compulsory for Zhao Cheng to fulfill his filial duty.

After knowing that this would give him a few moments alone with Song Jia, Zhao Cheng's irritation disappeared, and this was also the reason why he could behave well when faced with the person he had constantly thought of these past few months. Otherwise, even with Bai Mei Lien's presence there, he might be unable to help himself.

Song Jia suddenly became alert, "Does qie need to change clothes?"

Zhao Cheng casted a look at her outfit. His thoughts turned wayward with the word 'clothes' as he imagined her without it, but his expression remained the same. "No need."

Song Jia thought it was better to look more subdued as the Emperor was sick and handed over her elaborate hairpin to Minglan. She then called for a carriage to take her into the palace.

Finally, Zhao Cheng got off his horse. After helping Song Jia to get inside, he was about to follow after her when a hesitant voice spoke out, "Brother Cheng..."

He turned around.

Bai Mei Lien was wearing a light blue dress, which highlighted her pale skin. Although her waist disappeared with her pregnancy, her breasts became fuller as a result. With her outstanding beauty and figure, it was a very enticing sight.

However, why is it...that his heart remained unmoved?

Zhao Cheng frowned and clutched at his chest. He looked back at the carriage and without another word, he went inside.

"..." Bai Mei Lien staggered back and was caught by a concerned mama.

"Madam, wang ye is just tired because of the long journey. After going to the palace, he would certainly come to visit Madam, so why don't Madam take this time to go back to the courtyard and refresh herself?"

"Madam, wang ye is just concerned about His Majesty, don't take it to heart." Another mama consoled her.

Although there were doubts in her heart, a pregnant woman's emotions are very unstable, and Bai Mei Lien quickly regained back her original mood. After all, he had finally returned home from battle, and would soon see their Xi Er.

Bai Mei Lien smiled, and she followed the mamas to walk back to her courtyard.

...

Inside the vermillion-lacquered carriage that was slightly swaying back and forth as it made its way towards the palace, Song Jia was not as relaxed as Bai Mei Lien.

Her mouth was currently seized by Zhao Cheng, his tongue intertwining with hers. From the moment the carriage went out of the wangfu, he began a torrent of mad kissing, his breathing slightly ragged.

Song Jia could not resist at all. She could only blush and move the beads of the small abacus in her mind to count her grievances as his tongue smoothly explored the inside of her mouth. When their lips parted the tiniest sliver, he hoarsely murmured, "Wang fei still taste as sweet as ever."

He did not wait for Song Jia's response but continued on sucking her sweetness. A jolt of pleasure tingled down Song Jia's spine, and his kisses gradually moved from her lips to her ears. He licked and sucked until she became dizzy, and his lips traveled down towards her neck.

Song Jia felt a slight pain and recoiled. Touching it with her hand, her eyes were wide as she looked at him. "You marked me?"

They were going to visit his sick father, ah!

"You're my wife." His hand caressed the sides of her breast. Her lips were still glistening wet with their saliva. "You will always be my wife."

Always? Song Jia stilled.

She did not have time to properly absorb his words as they had already arrived at the palace gates. Zhao Cheng neatened the hair on her temple before rearranging their clothes that was rumpled during their kiss.

"Xu Qin Wang Ye, Xu Qin Wang Fei, we have arrived at the palace gates."

Zhao Cheng lifted the curtain. Eunuchs immediately came forward to place the stools in front of the carriage and hold it down. Song Jia accepted Zhao Cheng's outstretched hand as a satin-made shoe lightly stepped on the stool, the two young eunuchs kneeling on either side not daring to lift their eyes.

Song Jia glanced at the tall red walls beside the stone path. Since it was her first time entering the palace, Zhao Cheng guided her to the Hall of Mental Cultivation (Yangxindian), where Hongwu Emperor currently resided. Along the way, several officials greeted Zhao Cheng. They congratulated him on his recent victory and didn't forget to insert several words of flattery, their expressions fawning.

Song Jia identified those who were of higher rank by paying close attention to the buzi [1] attached to the chest and the back of their gowns. Birds were sewed for civil officials, while beasts were for military officials. Looking at the white celestial crane that was depicted on the buzi of the civil official that was smiling ingratiatingly at Zhao Cheng, Song Jia admitted that the man she had married was truly capable to make even a first-ranked official suck up to him.

[1] Embroidered cloth