173 The Jilted Second Young Master (46)

Song Jia pinched his waist and said, "Stop pestering me. Don't you have work to do? What are you going to do if the company goes bankrupt?"

Lin Yitian's expression became serious, "Okay, I'll bring my laptop over here. Jia, what book do you want to read? I'll bring it over."

Song Jia was speechless. "You don't need to come back, just work inside your study. I'm going to sleep anyway, I won't be able to keep you company."

She knew how hard it was for him to work by only using a single laptop. Although she only had general knowledge about computers, she knew how terrible it was to do extensive programming on a laptop, without being able to have multiple screens at once. Besides, just recently, Lin Yitian often experienced neck strain because of it.

"I won't disturb your sleep." Lin Yitian solemnly raised his hand. "I swear."

"No, that's not the point..."

Lin Yitian laughingly kissed her forehead and jumped off the bed. "The company would file for bankruptcy even faster if I work without seeing you. I might have started recovering from my condition, but I think Jia infected me with a much more lethal disease."

Song Jia, "..."

That mouth of his was getting sweeter and sweeter each day.

As soon as Lin Yitian left the room, Song Jia dragged herself to the edge of the bed. Holding the bed post for support, she tried to stand up. But when she forced herself to take a step forward, her legs collapsed beneath her and she fell to the ground on her tailbone, shocking her entire spine. Song Jia gasped in pain.

Because she took a suppressing pill, the symptoms didn't appear gradually. Today, she had lost her legs. Tomorrow, she might not be able to move her upper body as well. Song Jia wiped away her sweat and crawled back to bed, searching for her phone. She had joined an ALS support group online a week ago.

886 posted, "Couldn't move my legs. Desperately needs help, what to do?"

Immediately, a poster by the name of 'English Teacher' replied.

"You still don't have a walking stick? If you can still limp, buy a walking stick. If not, buy a wheelchair."

886 posted, "Can't limp. I'll buy a wheelchair."

Another poster under the name of 'Little Pawn' responded, "How come your disease progressed so suddenly? For me, it started in my left ankle, then worked up my leg before spreading to the right leg. I fell down constantly, and then the weakness went to my hands. ALS usually happens gradually."

Song Jia pursed her lips. She was about to reply when she heard footsteps outside the door. Song Jia instantly hid her phone underneath her pillow. Lin Yitian came into the bedroom holding his laptop, along with the book she had been reading before.

"Jia? You're still not asleep?" He was pleasantly surprised. He pulled her into his arms and settled his laptop beside him. "Want me to tell you a story?"

Song Jia pushed him away. "Just focus on your work."

Song Jia pretended to fall asleep, turning her back on him. She felt his arms pull her body beside him again, and heard the almost inaudible taps of the keyboard. After about an hour, she felt his phone vibrate.

A light touch brushed away the hair from her face, and a soft touch fell on her forehead, with a shallow breath. Then the blanket she had kicked away was pulled over her body, until only her face was seen.

She heard his footsteps getting farther and farther. Just before the door was closed, she heard Lin Yitian ask in a low voice, "Father?"

Song Jia opened her eyes. She dragged herself out of the bed again, and tried standing up. But just like before, she fell down on the floor the moment she let go of the bed post.

Song Jia knew she couldn't avoid it anymore. She had to tell Lin Yitian.

She grabbed her phone again.

886 posted, "How do you tell your family you have ALS?"

...

Lin Yitian went to the Lin company.

An hour ago, his father had told him about Lin Shenglan's scandal that had spread all over the net. The video was anonymously posted by Rong Jingfei, which created a discord between the two families. Not only that, but the sales of their company had plummeted because the customers were boycotting their products.

Lin Shaofeng called Lin Yitian to come to the company because they were going to hold a press conference. He wanted Lin Yitian to defend his brother, and also to produce evidence that the video was fake. As someone who was very proficient in technology and computers, it was a mere child's play for Lin Yitian.

When he arrived, his mother and father were already there, both wearing a dark expression. Lin Shenglan sat on a chair, his face pale and his hair lacking its usual luster. Secretary Wen was nowhere to be seen.

"Xiao Tian!"

Lin Qingge widened her eyes when she caught sight of her youngest son. She was stunned at how much Lin Yitian had changed.

The old master, Lin Shaofeng, was also surprised. Right after his shock came a slight burst of satisfaction. As expected of his own flesh and blood, he didn't disappoint him. It only took him a bit longer than Lin Shenglan, but this second son of his was finally becoming worthy of being a Lin.

Lin Yitian wore a black, casual blazer over his usual Oxford white shirt, denim jeans, and white sneakers. He looked just the way he always had—tall, athletic, and handsome. But because of his childish and volatile temperament, his family had always felt that Lin Shenglan looked better and more charismatic than him.

Right now, with his straight back and confident strides, compared to the last time they saw him, the Lin Yitian in front of them felt unfamiliar, like a completely different person.

"Father, mother." Lin Yitian nodded his head in greeting. Shifting his glance, he looked at the gloomy Lin Shenglan. "Ge."

Lin Shenglan forced himself to smile. "Xiao Tian. You didn't have a hard time going out?"

"It's fine." Lin Yitian looked at his phone wallpaper all the way to the company. It was a picture of Song Jia.

If she hadn't fallen asleep, he would have taken her with him. Lin Yitian felt that Song Jia was increasingly becoming his poison, an addiction penetrating deep into his bones.