eleven

Yoongi woke with a start, unable to breathe. He started sobbing uncontrollably, gasping for air.

"Hyung? Why are you crying?" a sleepy voice mumbled from the other side of the room.

"T-taehyung, h-help me, please!" he croaked as tears streamed down his cheeks.

This wasn't the first time he'd had a nightmare about his father, but it was the first time he'd woken Taehyung with his crying. It was four in the morning, and Yoongi felt absolutely terrible.

He never wanted to see that man again for as long as he lived, so why did he have to torture him in his sleep as well?

The bed dipped slightly under the younger's weight as Taehyung sat next to Yoongi, wrapping his arms around him in an attempt to comfort him.

"It's okay, you're okay, hyung," the younger whispered into Yoongi's shoulder as they hugged.

Eventually Yoongi's sobs were replaced by soft sniffles and hiccups.

"I-I'm sorry for waking you up, Tae, you can go back to sleep now," the older mumbled, so quiet that Taehyung almost didn't catch it.

"No, it's okay, hyung," Taehyung replied as he yawned.

Yoongi waited for Taehyung to get up, to leave his side and go back to his own bed.

He didn't. Instead, Yoongi was met with Taehyung's quiet, even breaths, unmoving on his shoulder.

He couldn't help but smile slightly at the sight of the sleeping boy.

Yoongi gently removed Taehyung's head from his shoulder and placed it on his pillow before covering him with his blanket.

Sure, the boy was loud, asked too many annoying questions, and kept stealing his food, but. . . . Taehyung wasn't really that bad.

<3

"Yoongi hyung, can I have some of your eggs, please?" Taehyung asked, scooping some eggs from Yoongi's bowl before he could answer.

Rolling his eyes, Yoongi was beginning to second-guess his judgement of the younger from last night.

Today was Yoongi's first day back to public school. The Kim's opted to place him in Taehyung's class in order to keep him with someone he'd be familiar with, which meant that Yoongi would have to move down two grades. He didn't learn much while his mother was homeschooling him, so he was already a year or two behind for his age. It all kind of worked out.

He would definitely fit in, what with his short height and small frame. No one would be able to tell. Taehyung's parents felt confident that public school is what Yoongi needed, and with Taehyung around, he'd be able to survive the rest of the school year.

Yoongi, however, was really scared. What if they made fun of Kumamon? What if they called him names and tripped him in class again? What if they hurt him again?

<3

Upon entering the classroom, the first thing Yoongi took note of was the soft pastel yellow walls. The color felt calming to him, for some reason. Colorful posters adorned the walls and an odd collection of coffee mugs of all sizes were lined up against the windows.

His breath hitched at the sight of the students in their desks, staring curiously at him and whispering to one another.

Whispering. Yoongi hated whispering. He began to tremble. Taehyung noticed and quickly grabbed the older's right hand to reassure him. Yoongi's left hand was tightly clutching his Kumamon plushie like his life depended on it.