#63- Doorway

JJ's POV

'Is this it?' Simon asked, squinting up at the door in front of us.

'Yeah, looks like it.' Josh said. Simon reached into Josh's pocket and found his phone, finding the map photo and holding it up Josh, who reluctantly nodded. 'We're here.'

'It's a bit, ah, underwhelming.' Simon said.

'Shit, more like.' I interjected. The door looked out of place in the sterile white corridors, the white wood faded and cracked, a piece of paper taped above it with 'White entrance' scrawled on it in marker pen.

'Not so threatening now, huh?' Ethan said, smirking at Josh. Josh ignored him, but Simon glared over Josh's shoulder. Tobi rolled his eyes and dropped Phil abruptly, Harry following his example and dropping Phil's legs. Tobi walked forward, his hand hesitating above the door handle.

'You ready?' Tobi asked. There were a few scattered nods, and, exhaling deeply, Tobi opened the door. I was expecting huge marble staircases and pillars and shit. I was expecting, luxury, perfection, paradise, you know, like all of those musty old paintings in the churches. What I got was more of a... wall. It wasn't like the black voids below the platforms in the rooms, they spoke of nothing but swallowing you whole; this was more of a barrier, a solid mass of white.

'Is that it? Heaven?' Harry asked.

'I don't think so.' Josh answered, though it sounded more like a question. Tobi still hadn't turned from the doorway, his fingertips brushing the white wall.

'Don't-!' I shouted instinctively as Harry marched forward, sticking his hand past the doorframe and into what was beyond. Surprisingly, he didn't meet a hard wall like I expected. Instead, his hand was now sunk wrist-deep in what looked like thick white mist. He laughed, partly in shock, partly in delight, as his wriggled his fingertips.

'Fuck, does that kid have no sense of self-preservation?' Josh said, walking closer to investigate. I followed, leaving Ethan sat on the floor, trying to calm his shaking hands. I knew from experience that the shaking wouldn't leave him for days, no matter how angrily he glared at his hands. Believe me, he was trying, though.

'Does it hurt?' Tobi asked slowly, staring in wonder at Harry's arm.

'It... tingles, a little.' Harry said.

'What is this? Wizards of Waverley Place?' Tobi joked. He laughed, though it sounded strained.

'Do we go through?' I asked.

'Let's find out.' Harry said, stepping forward through the barrier. He disappeared instantly. Tobi followed, swearing profusely at Harry. Simon and Josh were next- after having a hushed conversation, Josh put Simon down by the door and, having wrapped Simon's arm around his shoulder, they walked through together. I went back to Ethan, shifting Vikk to one side in my arms so I could offer him a hand up.

'You got him?' I asked Ethan, nodding towards Phil's crumpled form.

'Yeah, I got him.' Ethan grumbled, grabbing Phil around the collar and dragging him through the doorway. I put Vikk down, still keeping my arms locked around his small frame. For the first time that day, he looked me in the eye. I gave him a small smile and rested my forehead on his. Without warning, he grabbed my shirt and pulled me into a kiss. It was short- we still had to get back to the others- but it was filled with love and affection; everything we didn't say in words, we told each other in the way our lips moved and the way my hands wrapped around his waist and his clutched desperately at my shirt. I pulled away reluctantly, breathing hard. Smiling, he took my hand, interlocking our fingers as we walked through the doorway.

A/N- Hey nerds, any music reccomendations? I'm thirsty for some bops.