{KF} Father | Teenage Malum, Kid Luke

KayKay:  Mom

Ashton: Dad

Calum: 16 years old

Michael: 14 years old

Luke: 11 years old.

~~~

Calum always had to be the father figure in his family. He remembered a time when he was small and his father, Ashton, would promise him things such as he would be home for the holidays.

It was Christmas time. 6-year-old Calum waited by the door for his father to return. His father promised him he would be home for Christmas. Calum waited for the whole day at the window watching as the cars drive by, hoping one of them would be his father.

Michael always waited by the phone, hoping his father would at least call telling them he would be late. Luke was too young to even know where his father was.

Calum knew the feeling of heartbreak as the time ticked by. His mother came to collect her kids giving them sad smiles. The Maori just wanted to feel his father's love. The promises that he made to his children and breaking them.

~~~

It was Michael's 10th birthday. Michael had just called his father yesterday asking if he would be there for his father. What he got in return was a 'yes of course buddy, I wouldn't miss it for the world.'

It was another lie of course, but the hope that coursed Michael's veins was too overpowering so he held onto that hope that his father actually cared about him and his birthday.

He waited. He waited for the whole day. Michael knew he wasn't coming but no matter how many times is father lets him down he still loves him because Ashton is his father, he just breaks promises a lot. It's not a big deal. Michael's just over reacting.

~~~

It was Calum's middle school graduation. He had begged his father to at least come to this. It meant so much for Calum as he was asked to speak for his year class.

Calum was closest with his father before all the broken promises happened. Calum loved his father so much. Ashton only stopped coming when he and his wife divorced. Calum was only 5 and a half when they divorced. Luke was only a newborn and Michael was only 3. For 5 years of Calums life was the best, he had everything. Perfect and happy parents. A father who was actually there.

When his parents divorced his father stopped coming to see him and his brothers less and less. He missed his father dearly. Well, the one that was there for his sons anyway.

Calum wanted to be like his father when he was older. He wanted to be as successful as Ashton but as Calum grew so did his resentment for his father. He never wanted to be that man. He was going to be the best father ever. He would stay with his kids forever. He knew how to be a good father because he never had one. Or one he could remember.

~~~

Luke was apart of the singing group at school. He had asked both of his parents to be there. His mother was always there for him no matter what. She worked every day for 9 hours: 6 am to 3 pm. She needed the money to provide for her children since her ex-husband never really helped at all. Sure, he gave her a little bit each month but not enough for 3 children.

Luke had asked his father the last time he saw him if he would come to his performance. Ashton nodded his head and reassured his youngest that he would be there.