More Than Anything | Newt Scamander

Prompts #36 and #40
Requested by @QueenGhostRed

Summary: You live in America, and you meet a strange yet adorable British man, whom you quickly catch feelings for. He feels the same way about you, but he has quite the secret...

QOTP: Young or old Dumbledore? [a rEPEAT I can't believe I've done this]

Word Count: 3694

The hustle and bustle of the city around you fills your ears, and this is one of the moments that you don't let it fade to the background but take it all in.

You're simply going out for lunch by yourself, which your friends have said is absolutely embarrassing. But you don't really mind. It almost feels liberating.

You spot the restaurant up ahead, smiling to yourself as you head towards it. You're so wrapped up in your own world, already thinking about what you're going to order, that you don't notice the man quickly weaving through the crowd in front of you.

He doesn't notice you either.

He barrels straight into you, but manages to catch you before you fall back onto the street. He also hits you with his briefcase in the process, though that was definitely an accident.

Your hands are gripping his coat for dear life, as you instinctively grabbed it when you were stumbling. It all happened so fast, you don't know how to react.

For a moment, he doesn't either. His eyes are wide, and he opens his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. Finally, he manages to ask, "Are you alright?"

This snaps you out of your shock, though a new surprise comes when you realize that he has a British accent. "What?" you say. "Oh, um, yes, I-I think I am."

He looks slightly relieved, but he says, "I am so sorry. I was just in a bit of a hurry-"

"No, it's alright. I should've been paying attention," you reply.

You both go quiet then, but neither of you move to go. Finally, he breaks the silence, holding out his free hand. "I-I'm Newt. Scamander."

You take his hand and shake it gently. "Y/N Y/L/N."

He holds your hand for much longer than necessary, seemingly enamored. He can't take his eyes off you, and you're certainly not complaining. You're quite taken with him, too.

Finally, though, he snaps out of it, his head turning to a shop window across the street. He looks panicked, and you follow his gaze. You only see a normal jewelry store.

"What's the matter?" you ask, looking back at him.

He starts, looking back at you, too. "Huh? Oh, I'm alright. I-I just really need to, um, hurry over to that store over there. I, uh, I need to make a purchase." He starts to hurry away, leaving you standing there, confused and a little disappointed that he's leaving so quickly. But then he looks back at you. "You-You can come along... if you like."

You break out into a smile and follow him, your lunch now forgotten. As you walk across the street, you say, "So, you're from England, aren't you?"

He looks into the shop window, seemingly searching for something specific. "I am," he says. "London."

"I've always wanted to go to England," you reply as you enter the shop. He continues searching, though you only look at him.

"So, why don't you go?" he asks.

You think for a moment. "You know, I don't know. I mean, I'd have to convince someone to go with me; I could never go alone."

"Why not?" He raises up on his toes, trying to look over one of the counters. The other patrons give him strange looks, but he doesn't seem to notice.