Jokes and Jests | Mr. Bingley

Honestly I expected my first Pride and Prejudice imagine to be Mr. Darcy but I had an idea and some sick dialogue so here we are.

Summary: A younger sister of Mr. Darcy, Y/N is often in the company of her brother and his closest friend, Mr. Bingley, whom Y/N is unfortunately afflicted with feelings for. Meanwhile, his unmarried sister Miss Bingley has eyes for Mr. Darcy, though Mr. Darcy has eyes for Y/N's dear friend Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

QOTP: Bingley or Darcy?

Word Count: 7628

Since coming to Netherfield with her brother, Mr. Bingley, and his sisters and brother in law, Y/N Darcy has found country life considerably agreeable to her.

Not only is Netherfield a fine estate — not as large as Pemberley, to be sure, but Pemberley can be too large, especially for only two or three people and the servants. Netherfield is the perfect size, and it has an almost perfect owner — in Y/N's opinion.

She's known Mr. Bingley for years now — through her brother, of course — but this attraction to him has only developed in the last one. His charms and looks have always been present, but he didn't particularly direct them toward her at first for fear of reproof and anger from Mr. Darcy, and Y/N had other men struggling in vain to win her affections at various times. It was not that she enjoyed all these attentions, however, but that they were readily given anyway, and based on her fortune and looks alone. Now that Mr. Bingley is practically inseparable from the two eldest Darcy siblings, however, these attentions have died off, and Y/N was at first simply grateful to Bingley for that. But he inevitably began to win her heart, and this was without even trying.

She realized it when they were attending a ball, and he danced with one of the ladies there twice. Nothing ever came of it, but the sight of him announcing to the ball his interests for another, not to mention smiling at and laughing with women that weren't her incited a feeling of envy in Y/N, one only calmed by Bingley's dancing with herself, and it surprised her. Since then, she's been afflicted with affections for him, even though his indifference towards her (romantically, at least) is all but certain.

To distract herself from all this — and also to secure her brother's happiness — Y/N has taken to trying to match Mr. Darcy and her friend Miss Elizabeth Bennet together. When her brother first saw Miss Elizabeth, he didn't think her particularly handsome, despite his sister's and Bingley's disagreements. However, through some scheming, Y/N managed to get them speaking in the same circles, and Mr. Darcy gradually began to like Miss Elizabeth. He even confessed to Y/N at some point afterwards that he was wrong before, and she was in fact handsome — particularly her "fine eyes." It's now only a matter of furthering the attraction on both sides (in Miss Elizabeth's case more than Darcy's), preferably before the Darcys leave to visit their aunt. Y/N should like to have Miss Elizabeth as a sister, especially seeing as they've become so close.

"Today seems like a perfect day to call at Longbourn, does it not, dear brother?" Y/N says one day at Netherfield, shortly after breakfast. She, Bingley, and Mr. Darcy are sitting in the parlor; Bingley's sisters and Mr. Hurst are in another part of the house. "I have such a desire to see dear Miss Elizabeth."

Darcy doesn't even look up from his book. "Then be off with you, and come back before dinner."

But Y/N knew he would say something like that. "Oh, no, I certainly cannot go alone — and the more the merrier, as they say."

"I suppose you'll force me to oblige you?" Mr. Darcy asks after a moment, finally looking up from his book.

"Indeed I shall," Y/N replies.