Ignorance and Inclination (Part One) | Bucky Barnes

Part One of Three

This is a Jane Austen AU because I love Jane Austen, so it's going to be set in early 19th century England with a lot of elements and some specific references from Jane Austen's novels (mostly Pride and Prejudice).

Summary: Y/N Y/L/N has recently begun receiving the attentions of Mr. Quentin Beck, a well-to-do, charming bachelor in Enscombe. But a friend of the well-respected Mr. Steve Rogers is arriving in Enscombe, and, while mysterious to most, he intrigues Y/N — and, despite himself, she intrigues him.

QOTP: Have you read any of Jane Austen's novels?

Word Count: 4605

Y/N Y/L/N very frequently made it her personal business to be out of everyone else's. Of course, that was nearly impossible in Enscombe; the ladies, often Y/N's primary company, enjoyed gossiping — who was going to London, who was engaged, who should've been engaged, who was courting whom, and, among other things, who was coming to Enscombe — and, along with that, why and where they came from.

Miss Jane Brant especially partook in the gossip, it being an activity that, at that point in her life, most would think had lost its enjoyment. However, having never married herself, she particularly interested herself in other's business and, of course, matchmaking. These matches had never been successful, but she was quite a resilient woman, and that was very evident to the younger, unmarried ladies of Enscombe — Y/N herself being one of them.

Frequently, at small parties — usually taking place within Treeside, where the wealthy Starks lived and often invited scores of company to — Miss Brant would watch the men from across the room and point them out to the lady she thought best fit with him.

"Mr. Parker is growing to be a fine young gentleman — (glancing at Miss Elizabeth Allan) — with very fine tastes. And, from what I understand, he is often not found away from Mrs. Parker — his aunt, you understand. He takes care of her more than he does anything else — in fact I'm quite surprised he's here at all tonight. He would not be if he didn't find anyone to stay with Mrs. Parker, I'm sure. She's not been the same since Mr. Benjamin Parker passed, you know. She's quite sickly, from what I here."

"He's very kind, then," Miss Michelle Jones suddenly said. She didn't often speak, and was often privately critiqued for her quietness, which was perceived as rudeness most of the time; Y/N tried to change the subject whenever it was brought up. But, now, everyone was looking at her as she blushed, shifting in her seat. "Taking care of his aunt the way he does — it makes him seem caring."

Miss Brant nodded, agreeing, but she looked back at Miss Allan. "Yes, it certainly does. He'll be quite a catch if he ever ventures to leave the house more than once a month. His parents certainly left him a nice sum of money, and they had very good connexions."

At this juncture, Y/N feared Miss Brant would recount Mr. Peter Parker's entire life story and so brought up another topic. "The weather is very fine tonight, isn't it? I would almost think it unnecessary to travel in the carriage; walking would be rather agreeable."

"Oh, yes, it's very fine weather," Miss Allan finally spoke. She did not pay much attention to the men, as she didn't care to. It was clear she wasn't interested in marrying, certainly not yet; her parents kept her comfortably situated. "Very fine."

"I believe Miss Romanoff and Mr. Barton walked together this evening," Miss Brant said. "I always saw Miss Romanoff with Dr. Banner, but it seems as if Dr. Banner will never marry, anyway. The man is far too focused on his work for any sort of pleasure; he isn't even here — and I know he was invited."