Preference: I Need You | The Crimes of Grindelwald

Prompt #19
Requested by @FeirceAngel

Summary: He tells you he needs you.

QOTP: What do you think will happen in the third movie?

Word Count: 1877

Credence -
You and Credence were both living in New York, though "getting by in New York" would be much more accurate.

Neither of your families (however, you wouldn't consider the woman Credence lived with his family) had very much money. It was a day to day struggle at the time, but you always thought it was worse for Credence what with his home life.

So, over time, you developed a system — a code, of sorts.

"I need you."

Immediately after those words were spoken — or written — there was comfort with no questions asked. No explanations, no recounting the troubles that were pushing either one of you to the brink. Just comfort, and that was all.

Sometimes he would show up at your home at random times of the day or night, and those were the only words he said to you. And you would hold him to you and hope that it was enough to get him through to the next day.

Other times, you would say those words the second you saw him, and he would wrap his arms around you, and you would stay that way until you pulled away — until you knew, just from hugging him, that everything might be okay.

And still other times, one of you would write it on a note, place it where the other would find it or send it to the other's home. This was mostly Credence's method, and it would immediately prompt you to run to his home and get him out somehow.

It was a good system, and it was one you could frequently depend on. And even if you couldn't always see Credence when you needed him, just the thought of him could sometime make it a little bit better. In those moments, you had to admit to yourself just how much he meant to you.

And others could see it, too. Newt Scamander, for instance, saw it in the pain on your face, the anguish of your scream, and the pitifulness of your sobbing when you believed that Credence had died.

You thought MACUSA — which you still don't fully understand — had killed him because he turned into — what did Newt say it was? — an Obscurus. He was suddenly a black cloud, causing destruction throughout the city, but from what you understand it wasn't exactly his fault. It was all his negative, which, Newt said, you helped keep at bay. But sometimes things were simply too much.

And you certainly knew that after believing Credence was dead. But, after seeing your pain, Newt told you what he knew; Credence was alive. And he shielded you from the rain so you would remember, so you could look for him. Follow him wherever he went.

And you do. You follow him everywhere he goes, holding his hand the whole way.

Against your better judgement, you even follow him to Gellert Grindelwald.

Newt -
You're at the Goldstein's apartment, having coffee (and tea) in the kitchen with them and Jacob. Newt is in his case, doing rounds through his fantastical menagerie of beasts. He said he'd be back soon to join you, but when he pokes his head out of the case, it's sooner than you thought he'd be.

"I need you," he says, looking at you with a slightly panicked expression. The Niffler, then, pops up, trying to run into the room, but Newt manages to catch it in time.

You chuckle a little, already walking over to him. "For what exactly?"

"I need to feed the Mooncalves, but the Niffler is feeling particularly cuddly and rambunctious today," he replies, still trying to keep a hold on said creature. He, then, goes back down the steps so you can follow behind him.