Overwhelmed | Shaun Murphy

Requested by @Verkira888

TRIGGER WARNING. You have a panic attack caused by stress.

CAN I JUST WJJEJEJDJ OVER THE SEASON FINALE BECAUSE NOTHING ABOUT THAT WAS OKAY I AM SO UPSET HOW DARE THEY KILL OFF THAT PERSON HOW DARE THEY AND LIKE THAT IT'S NOT OKAY IT'S NOT OKAY AT ALL IT HURTS ME THEY CAN'T BE DEAD THEY CAN'T THEY WERE SO CLOSE THEY WERE THERE

Weekly encouragement: It is okay to feel stuck or upset or sad or anxious right now! Just remember that we can get through this! Seek joy in God's goodness, and remember that He is with us!

Summary: Life is severely getting to Dr. Y/N Y/L/N, and the toll it's taking on her has some terrible effects. Dr. Shaun Murphy — the guy she likes — however, is there to help.

QOTP: What did you think about the season finale?

Word Count: 3045

Y/N Y/L/N always wanted to be a surgeon. Part of it was the salary, true, but the majority of her desire came from helping other people. It was a gratifying feeling she wanted to feel as often as possible, in the highest intensity. She wanted to save lives. She wanted to make a difference.

She had the means to do it too — a high IQ, higher than average, and the work ethic to get her through med school early, and with flying colors. Becoming a resident at St. Bonaventure was a dream come true.

And, somehow, it got better.

She met friends there, of course: Park, Claire, Jared, for a time, and even Melendez and Lim, her bosses. Morgan made it hard to be friends, but they were, in a way. It was — it is — Shaun, however, that she's connected with the most.

They began as friends, close friends, and then it gradually started to develop into something more, at least on her side. She realized that she liked him, and she now does her best not to make it obvious for fear that he'll find out in one way or another and that friendship which she so values will be ruined. It's hard to do, and the idea of it all scares her, in the back of her mind most of the time, but frequently present. Work distracts her from it — employment of any kind, really. Sometimes, though, she works with him, like today, and it can make it difficult. But she does her best not to dwell on it and hopes her feelings will soon die down.

"Hey, can you help me with this real fast?" Claire asks, seeing Y/N coming down the hall. Claire and Park are with Melendez today, while Y/N, Shaun, and Morgan are with Lim in the ER. She's in another part of the hospital in order to get some supplies for the ER, as a couple of the nurses asked her to. She's happy to help them out, seeing as they're particularly busy, and they don't have many patients that she or the rest of the surgical team need to be particularly concerned about so far.

She stops in front of Claire. "Sure, what's up?"

Claire asks her to look at a scan she and Park did on one of their patients, as neither of them can agree on what an anomaly on it is, and Melendez himself is busy at the moment.

Y/N looks at it for some minutes, part of the time trying to focus her eyes, as she didn't get much sleep last night while reading up on surgical techniques for one of her, Park's, and Melendez's patients. She'd had an idea that night, and she told Melendez, who wanted to operate immediately. It was successful, and, after an hour of sleep, Y/N was back to work again this morning.

Finally, though, she's able to give her opinion on the scan, which happens to be the same as Claire's.

Park argues his own view to her, and she can see where he's coming from as well, then ultimately tells them to either wait for Melendez or run more tests, depending on how urgent the patient's condition seems to be. Then, she returns to her original task of gathering supplies to take downstairs, thankfully unhindered by anyone in the return journey.