Preference: Prompt 30 | Anne with an E

Prompt #30
Requested by me

I have a new short story posted in my Random Writings book! It's called "The Imbalance of Fear."

Weekly encouragement: We have to stay strong through this! Lift each other up! Remember that God is with us, and He is in control! Even when it doesn't seem like it! Seek joy! Remember things you can be grateful for!

Summary: One of you tells the other you wouldn't leave them for the world.

QOTP: Have you read any of the original series?

Word Count: 1998

Gilbert -
Y/N and Gilbert grew up together in Avonlea, often playing together as children. They went to school together, and, while they weren't best friends per say, they were certainly friends. It wasn't until they got older that they spent more time together and began to develop feelings for each other.

They started courting around the time that studying for Queen's exams began, which was quite early. By the time the exams had been taken and everyone was preparing for college, they'd been together a whole year.

Y/N was excited to go to college, especially seeing as she would be with some of her closest friends — Anne, Diana, Ruby, Jane, Tilley, even Josie, though that was a recent development, and a few of the boys. The only problem was, with all the people she knew from Avonlea going to Queens, Gilbert wasn't one of them.

His dream, as Y/N had long knew, was to be a doctor, and she supported him wholeheartedly in that dream. She'd just never considered he would be leaving her to achieve it until he actually told her. He was going to a different college, far away, at least enough that they'd barely be able to see each other. Only when they both came home to Avonlea, instances of which would be few and far between.

"And... And you'll be going there... how long?" Y/N asked him. He was sitting across the table from her in his kitchen. Sebastian was in the next room with Delphine, too focused on feeding her to eavesdrop. It was a good thing too; Y/N was already beginning to cry, and the whole situation was just... upsetting.

"Four years," Gilbert replied sadly. He had to chase his dream, but telling her, seeing her face, knowing he had to be away from her, hurt. He took her hands. "But I'll come home every so often. We'll have a few months together in the summer until I go back, and Christmas and Easter. And I'll write you every day."

But would he? Could he? With his studies, being so far away, not seeing her for so long... Why would he want to, when it came down to it? After time passed — a few months, at the most a whole year — why would he want to stay with her when they can barely see each other? When there will probably be plenty of other girls where he is, better and closer?

"Y/N," Gilbert said; she'd been quiet for some time. It was worrying him. "Say something."

She looked at him as if coming out of a trance, having been lost in her thoughts. Slowly, she drew her hands away, then shook her head. "That's okay. You don't have to."

Gilbert was confused. "Don't have to what?"

"Write to me every day," Y/N replied, wiping her eyes. "You don't have to... stay with me either. I know it'll just be hard, and you'll have other things to worry about and other girls up there that you can actually see-"

Gilbert, getting over his shock at her words, exclaimed, "No!" Y/N was slightly startled by his outburst, and he lowered his voice again, gently and yet firmly continuing. "No, Y/N. Why... Why would I want that? I-I mean, if you want that, then I... I guess that's it, then... But why would I ever want that?"