Preference (Gif): A Date | The Good Doctor

So originally this was supposed to also be a prompt preference, but I forgot to add the prompt into Neal's. Luckily, they both involve dates in which you eat, so it still works.

Y/F/R means Your Favorite Restaurant, and Y/O means Your Order.

Summary: You ask him what he's thinking about.

QOTP: Did the fall finale (of season three) make you cry?

Word Count: 2725

Neil -
All you can hear at this point in time is the clicking of your keyboard keys, which you know you're typing on, though you don't really feel like those are your hands anymore. And while watching someone else type this paper is better than typing it yourself, all the words are coming from your brain and therefore you actually have to think.

Regrettably.

If you could see yourself right now, your eyes would look almost glazed over, bags heavy under them, an unperceived yawn escaping on occasion. You're squinting at the computer screen, glancing down to the word count, which is still too low. The amount of pages don't seem to be getting any higher, either.

A song finally cuts the silence — the Doctor Who theme song — and for a moment you think the Doctor (you don't care which one) is actually going to come in his TARDIS and take you away. Then, you hear the sound of your phone vibrating against the coffee table and realize that it's just an actual doctor — your boyfriend — calling you.

Turning away from your computer, you pick up the phone and answer it. "Hello?" You yawn.

"Hello," Neil replies, half-amused. "I'm calling to see if you're still alive. So far, I'm not quite sure."

You sigh. "Neither am I."

"Did you finish it?" he asks.

You look back at the computer screen. "Not even close."

He says something to somebody else — something about a dosage of fluids — and you hear voices and other indistinguishable noises before he speaks again. "Not even close as in almost halfway done or not even close as in you've barely started?"

"Not even close as in I've been working on this for two days but it all sucks so I'm still not halfway done." You lay back on your couch, closing your eyes. "Why couldn't I just content myself with a bachelor's degree?"

"Because you're not the type of person to just settle — and you shouldn't."

"Maybe I need to change..." you trail off.

He laughs. "Listen, my lunch break is in an hour. If you come by we can eat and I can try to help you?"

You actually smile. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"Many times," he replies. There's another voice, then he says, "I gotta go. See you in an hour?"

"See you in an hour."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

You hang up after that, then go get changed and try to make yourself look halfway decent, even though you certainly don't feel that way.

////

When you arrive at the hospital, you find Neil's office easily and are relieved to see that he's already gotten your food.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Melendez," he says jokingly, "what can I do for you today?"

You sit down across from him, setting your laptop on the table and logging on to pull up your thesis. "I'd like for you to kill me, please."