Breakfast | Josh Taylor

First Half • Alive imagine! And, no, there's no actual breakfast involved. But there will be Christmas.

singtothesky_ definitely contributed to (and kinda requested) this 😂

Summary: It's your first Christmas together, and Josh wants something specific, even though you already had a previous agreement about presents...

QOTP: "still feel." music video or "BREAKFAST" music video?

Word Count: 2870

The restaurant is quiet, sounds of low conversations and the clinking of silverware simply muffled background noise as you eat with your boyfriend, Josh, and discuss a topic of the utmost importance.

Christmas gifts.

"So, the limit is twenty dollars, and it has to be completely random?" you confirm.

He nods. "Yes. Twenty dollars. Completely random." He thought it would be easier for you both this way instead of stressing over getting something meaningful or "perfect." Instead, you could get something totally random that would become meaningful — a reminder of the other person.

It's so like him.

"And don't just order it off Amazon?" you add.

He nods again. "Yes."

You smile, holding your hand out towards him, your pinky out. He laughs and links his pinky with yours, shaking it. "You, sir, have a deal," you say, retracting your hand and beginning to finish your meal.

"Pleasure doing business with you," he jokes, doing the same.

You begin talking of other things then, laughing and generally enjoying each other's company. It's a time you both savor, considering he'll be going on tour again in a week or so, then not coming back until a few days before Christmas.

You're both well aware of the time running short, feeling like you're watching an hour glass, its sand slowly pouring to the bottom.

////

"How did I know that you would play this song?" Josh asks sarcastically, laughing as you put your car in reverse. He's sitting in the passenger seat, a casserole on his lap; you're heading to a Friendsgiving.

"Because I love it," you reply, just before the words start, and then you begin to sing. "I've been searching, nothing's working. I've been tripping; no one's perfect. Chasing vision, just the surface. Shirt's on backwards — not on purpose. Yeah."

Josh watches you sing and dance as much as you can while still paying attention to the road, amused, then he finally joins you, not worrying about how he sounds or looks as he dances, especially with that casserole on his lap.

"Staring into my reflection, redirecting my perfection somewhere else. Ah-ah. When there isn't any progress, lean in truth inside the promise, it is well. Ah-ah-

"I hold my life out in front of me, dreams of who I wanna be. I'm seeing every empty page, but I find that everything I am is everything I should be. Yeah, I don't need to run away."

You sing together on the way to your friend's house — though not just his songs — and you're laughing by the time you pull into your friend's driveway.