Significance | Gilbert Blythe

Weekly Verse: "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified; and it is with your mouth that you confess are saved." Romans 10:9-10

Weekly Encouragement: Trust in God! It won't be like this forever! Seek joy in Him! Remember you are loved, no matter what! You are never alone!

Ways to support Black Lives Matter: https://www.blacklivesmatter.space . Become educated on the situation in our country/world, and on who the organization is and what they stand for and what their goals are, so you can better determine what you stand for and what your goals are.

Video to watch to donate to BLM: https://youtu.be/bCgLa25fDHM (or search "how to financially help BLM with no money" on YouTube)

Prompt #33
Requested by awae_melanie

Summary: Y/N and Gilbert had been friends practically their entire lives, and Y/N didn't see them as ever being anything more. Instead, she fell in love with someone else...

QOTP: Ruby or Jane?

Word Count: 4661

Y/N Y/L/N grew up in Avonlea, and her closest neighbors had always been the Blythes. Her parents and Mr. and Mrs. Blythe had known each other for years, and they often conversed and spent time together, especially when Mrs. Y/L/N and Mrs. Blythe both had a child around the same time — Y/N and Gilbert, respectively — but the latter unfortunately passed in the process, and the Y/L/Ns stepped in to help the remaining Blythes in any way they could.

And so Gilbert and Y/N couldn't remember a time when they weren't friends, as that short time was only a few months at most. They played together at least once a week, then more when they got older, as they were able to run outside almost whenever they liked. They made up their own games and songs and stories, and they got into a bit of trouble, too, as children often do.

They argued, too, though that wasn't out of the ordinary. Y/N always believed she was right, as she was older by nearly two weeks, but Gilbert was too stubborn to concede. He was right sometimes, and he knew it, too. The Y/Ns and Gilbert's father were often called in to settle these disputes, and the flames of anger were soon put out as if they'd never been there at all.

When they started going to school, they made new friends, but none as close as they were to each other, even when Anne came along and Y/N instantly liked her. It was around this time that every adult in Avonlea expected something to happen between Y/N and Gilbert — something romantic, a sort of courtship — but nothing did. Y/N saw him as only a friend, and Gilbert, upon seeing how different Anne was, was drawn to her. Y/N even encouraged him to talk to her, though he went about it in his entirely wrong, Blythe way. The slate to the head didn't deter his interest, though. And Y/N found the whole thing amusing.

Anne, however, held a grudge, but Y/N thankfully wasn't hated by association. Y/N just spent time with Anne (and often Diana as well) when she could, though she continued to see Gilbert more than anybody else. Sometimes they'd talk about Anne, sometimes they wouldn't. Y/N would often bring him up around Anne, to try to get him in her good graces, but that never actually worked.

It all ended up on the back burner when Mr. Blythe got sick. Gilbert took care of him as best as he could, going so far as to quit going to school. Y/N's family did whatever was asked of them, but Gilbert didn't often ask for help. Y/N found out what needed done, though, and dutifully reported back to her parents. They'd take no sort of payment from Gilbert, either.