I Need You | Derek Morgan

Prompt #19
Requested by @-mcmahon

Trigger warning????

It's a hard case. Someone dies.

I don't actually watch S.W.A.T. but I needed a reason for him to leave the BAU that wasn't him having a child with another woman so. Here we are.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S REALLY OVER I'M SO SAD

Summary: Derek has left the BAU to join S.W.A.T., but he left a lot of friends behind in the process, one of whom has feelings for him — Y/N. And when life seems to be falling down around her, the only person she wants to see is Derek.

QOTP: What did you think of the series finale?

Word Count: 2736

Y/N falls to the floor, her knees giving out as she begins to sob, the already dried tears on her face being cried over. She curls in on herself, as if the frustration and sadness and pain physically punched her in the stomach, and she stays there, hugging her knees.

She needs help. She needs someone.

She needs Derek.

He was already apart of the BAU, and had been for three years, when Y/N joined. Gideon was Unit Chief at the time, and he put them together upon noticing how easily they connected. They worked like a team almost immediately.

This team dynamic never wavered through the years, even when the rest of the team changed around them, and even with Derek's odd friendship with Garcia.

Y/N, at one point, found herself jealous by this friendship, and she couldn't figure out why. At first she thought it was a sort of friend thing, like she was jealous of their close friendship. But then she realized that wasn't it. It was a relationship thing; they playfully flirted, and it bothered her.

She had developed feelings for Derek.

The jealousy ceased when she finally talked to Garcia about it, but the feelings were still there. She did her best not to let them ruin her friendship with Derek, because she thought he would never feel the same way. If he knew, it would only drive a wedge between them, make things awkward.

She almost slipped, though, when Derek announced he was leaving the BAU.

"I just think it's time for me to... move on. I've talked to some of the officers when we've worked with S.W.A.T., and... I think it's something I really want to do," he explained. "I can go back to Chicago, be closer to my family..."

Everyone was surprised, but they were all supportive, even though they were sad he was leaving. But Y/N was just silent.

Derek noticed, as her reaction was the most important to him, even though whether it went one way or the other probably wouldn't change his mind.

He looked at her, stepped closer. "Y/N?" he asked quietly. She looked toward the floor, not knowing what to say that wouldn't hurt either him or the both of them. "Say something," he pleaded.

She took a shaky breath. "Like what? What do you want me to say, Derek? I'm not gonna sit here and lie to you and tell you that I'm happy. I'm not."

"This... This wasn't an easy decision for me to make, Y/N. And I wouldn't be going if I didn't think it was best that I did."

"That doesn't change the fact that you're leaving," Y/N replied, "or the fact that you didn't even mention this to me at all before today or-or that it feels like you're abandoning me-" Y/N caught herself, then added "- and the rest of this team."