Fighting Your Own Battles (at Coney Island) | Jack Thompson

Prompts #8 and #10
Requested by @fandomsandphan

Will I ever really be over this show? Unlikely.

(Agents of Shield SPOILERS??) And, since is Sousa is going to be in Agents of Shield season 7(!!!!), Jack better be too. And hopefully Peggy. And maybe Chief Dooley. And Howard and Jarvis? The time frame is pre-war so who knows.

Weekly Encouragement: Keep pressing on! You are not alone in this, and you can get through — especially with God! He's with us all! This won't last forever!

Summary: Y/N Y/L/N struggled to be taken seriously as an SSR Agent. Meanwhile, Jack Thompson liked her, and so asked her on a date. But she had one condition, and only one place would suit her.

QOTP: Season one or season two?

Word Count: 6080

The war was over. It was a relief, definitely at first. A weight seemed to be lifted off of everyone's shoulders, the very air felt clearer. Then, more time passed, and while the weight was still gone, it became easier to focus on other problems which the war made seem less important.

For example, Y/N Y/L/N's problem of not being taken seriously at her job.

She served in the war, albeit not on the front lines since they wouldn't let her. But she still played an important role within intelligence, eventually ending up working with Peggy Carter herself a few times, though she met Captain America only once. She had other things to do, and that was largely Peggy's responsibility.

Then, they both ended up working with the SSR in New York and got a chance to work more closely together, seeing as they were dealing with the same operations.

And those operations largely consisted of filing and making coffee for their fellow, male agents.

Y/N held out a mug to Agent Messner, and he took it, closing his hand around hers as he did so, holding it there. He winked suggestively, and she yanked her hand away in disgust. Peggy, standing next to her, subtly and gently placed her hand on Y/N's arm to keep her from yelling at and/or punching him that very moment, which would get her nowhere. Especially as Chief Dooley was sitting right there, and he didn't notice what had happened.

But somebody else did.

"Hey," Agent Jack Thompson said sharply, cutting himself off in the middle of his sentence. Peggy sighed quietly, as she was listening in on what they were saying; it had something to do with Howard Stark, and she wanted details. But she was surprised when she looked up and realized who had spoken.

"What?" Messner said, brows furrowed, realizing Jack was looking at him. Jack suddenly hesitated, and it was quiet for a moment.

"There was no reason for that," Agent Daniel Sousa then jumped in. He'd seen it too, but Jack beat him to the first punch. "She's kind enough to get you — and everyone else in here — a cup of coffee when she should be out doing fieldwork like everybody else, and you're gonna disrespect her like that?"

"Sousa-" Y/N started, but Messner interrupted her.

"I didn't do anything wrong," Messner replied, incredulous. "And what fieldwork should she be doing anyway? She's-"

"Standing right here and can speak for herself," Y/N cut in. "Thank you, Sousa, for coming to my defense, but in the future I will defend myself. And Agent Messner, if I wanted that type of attention from you, I would've asked for it and made it obvious, but I did not and likely never will, and so I didn't ask. You had no reason to do that. Please don't do it again." With that, she turned on her heel and walked out of the room, and Peggy, fighting not to laugh at the room's shocked faces and Messner's embarrassed one, followed. As Y/N sat at her desk, she groaned and looked up at Peggy. "What's a girl gotta do to get some respect around here? I mean, really?"