Mark Her Words | Gilbert Blythe

Weekly Verse: "We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19

Weekly Encouragement: God's got this! He knows what He's doing, even if you can't see it yet! It won't be like this forever! Trust in Him! Seek joy in Him! You are loved!

Ways to help the world (including BLM): https://issuesintheworld.carrd.co . Become educated on the situations in our world, and on who these organizations are, who runs these petitions, and what they stand for and what their goals are, so you can better determine what you stand for and what your goals are.

Video to watch to donate to BLM: https://youtu.be/bCgLa25fDHM (or search "how to financially help BLM with no money" on YouTube)

Yes, another Gilbert Blythe imagine! This is more based on the books than the show, but you can still picture him as the show version.

Requested by awae_melanie
Summary: Y/N and Gilbert are just good friends, up until academics puts them closer together. But with a firm belief that Gilbert doesn't care for her like that, Y/N moves on to someone else.

QOTP: Have you seen the 1980's adaptations?

Word Count: 5685

In a small, close-knit community called Avonlea, everybody knew everybody else. And with such a woman as Mrs. Rachel Lynde living there, rumors and gossip certainly circulated fast. Though, to her credit, the rumors were usually true.

She also liked to make her predictions, particularly about the romance of others, and one prediction she'd been declaring for years was that of, mark her words, a match between Gilbert Blythe and Y/N Y/L/N. No one else professed to see it, least of all Y/N and Gilbert, who were no more than good friends at best.

They saw each other at school, they talked when in the same circle or when no one else they liked was around to talk to, they asked each other questions about schoolwork when no one around them knew the answer, and they even occasionally walked home or to school together if they happened to leave at the same time, whether that be by themselves or in a group. Their houses were near each other's, so they met while walking plenty enough times.

Y/N liked Gilbert. She thought he was nice, he was funny enough, and he was fun to be around. But she never thought of him romantically, not even after Mrs. Lynde's prediction first got around and pointed out the possibility to her. And, anyway, Y/N was sure Gilbert didn't like her that way. They were just friends, and that was completely fine.

And so the years passed in this way, Y/N close with Anne and Diana primarily, but the other girls, too, and being at least casual friends with everybody, including most of the boys. Gilbert was the boy she was closest to, but of course that wasn't saying too much.

It was only when Queens exams drew near that they ended up spending more time with each other, as Miss Stacey had all those taking the exams staying after school most days to prepare. Anne, Jane, and Y/N were the only girls actually taking the exams, leaving Anne unfortunately Diana-less. It ended up being she, Jane, Y/N, and Gilbert mostly talking to each other, though Anne talked to Jane far more than Gilbert, and incidentally Y/N, too. Y/N tried to bridge the gap between her two, fighting friends (though the fight was mostly on Anne's side over a years-long grudge), but it was a hard task since Anne was so stubborn and Gilbert had given up trying to be friends. They did say a civil word or two to each other, though, and Y/N certainly didn't push for more.

She and Gilbert studied together frequently during that time, both worrying over the exams, comparing notes, talking subjects over, helping the other where they needed it. Y/N did these things with Jane and Anne, too, and a couple times they did it in one group, though that went... well, as well as can be expected. And by the end of it — when it was time for the exams — Y/N would say that Gilbert was more than the good friend he was before, but not a best friend, like the girls were to her.