➴ two: WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES ➴

〖 chapter ii: WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES 〗

Wysteria stood under the awning just outside the Bluesman building at her school

Wysteria stood under the awning just outside the Bluesman building at her school. The hood of her jacket was up and she was zipped up inside of it nice and tight. Wysteria wasn't worried about being cold though. What she was worried about was the fact that her father still hadn't arrived to pick her up and it was almost five o'clock. She pulled her phone out of the pocket of her jacket and her phone screen lit up with a new text message from Grace but there was no missed calls or voicemails from her father. Wysteria sighed and looked down at the ground.

It had been at her insistence that Brynn Redbird had gotten a smartphone. Wysteria's logic had been, "What if there's an emergency and I need to call you? Or you need to call me? You can't just keep using the payphone at the police station and I can't keep calling the front desk to ask if you're in. I bug the other officers." So her father reluctantly got himself an iPhone and even though he didn't quite have the hang of texting yet, he certainly knew how to call Wysteria. If he was going to be late, why didn't he just let her know?

The problem was, her father usually did call to tell her and it would usually be before the school day ended so that Wysteria could at least get a ride with Grace and her mom or Corey and his brothers. But now, Wysteria was virtually alone at her high school. Practices had been cancelled because of the rain and since students don't usually like sticking around, especially with the rain pouring as hard as it is, everyone had virtually cleared out of the place by three o'clock. Wysteria wasn't sure what to do. She had tried calling her dad but he didn't pick up so she left a message and she would have called the station except that it was supposed to be her fathers day off today. Wysteria sighed again and looked back up at the big empty parking lot in front of her school just as a police car began to pull in. Wysteria breathed a sigh of relief. 

The car slowly moved through the lot and then swung up to the curb. Wysteria smiled as she ran towards it, the rain felt like it was soaking through her jacket as she grabbed the handle of her dads car and pulled it open. Except, it wasn't her father in the drivers seat. It was his partner and longtime friend, Officer Allen Chase. Wysteria's heart pounded wildly in her chest. "Did... did my dad send you to come pick me up? Where is he?" Officer Chase didn't answer right away. In fact, he looked away from her as he said,