➴ thirty-four: LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE ➴

〖 chapter xxxiv: LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE〗

Wysteria was smiling up at Jacob as she leaned against her locker

Wysteria was smiling up at Jacob as she leaned against her locker. Victoria hadn't been seen in a week, Laurent was well and fully dead, and Wysteria was trying to learn from Sam how to control this thunder and lightning business but it didn't seem to be really working out too well. If she wasn't scared for her life or nervous, Wysteria could barely manage to cause a light sprinkle. Despite this, things seemed to be looking up, at least for now. 

Jacob was telling her about something stupid Quil had said this morning and Wysteria was laughing when she saw her cousin slowly approaching them. Her expression was unreadable. Wysteria cocked her head, smile falling a little. "Hey Leah." She said, trying to keep up her cheerful demeanor. Leah eyed Jacob warily. Jacob didn't seem to take the cue.

"Can we talk?" Leah said in a hard voice.

"About what?" Wysteria said. Leah and her hadn't talked in a while. Her cousin was distant, on guard, and standoffish. She was totally unrecognizable from the girl Wysteria had met a little over a year ago.

"Everything." Wysteria swallowed hard. Everything sounded like a long, hard topic. 

"How about we talk... At lunch. It can be just the two of us. We haven't done that in a while." Wysteria said, trying to be optimistic. Leah licked her lips and nodded slowly.

"Alright, lunch." Leah shot Jacob a look before walking away. Jacob half frowned. 

"I don't like this." Jacob said when she was out of earshot. 

"It's just Leah. She's my cousin. Don't get all twisted up about this." Jacob pursed his lips. "It'll be fine. I'm sure she just wants to catch up." Jacob ran one hand through his short hair and sighed.

"Alright, yeah. You're right." He said. "Let's head to class."

Even though Wysteria had told Jacob it wasn't a big deal that she was going to talk to her cousin at lunch, Wysteria couldn't help but feel sick to her stomach. She had asked Sam during one of their training sessions if he ever planned on telling Leah about what happened, what had changed between them, and Sam had clenched his jaw.