➴ thirty-one: STONE COLD➴

〖 chapter xxxi: STONE COLD〗

Wysteria and her mom were driving out of the Reservation towards Bella's house

Wysteria and her mom were driving out of the Reservation towards Bella's house. The two hadn't really spoken much since yesterday afternoon when Wysteria had returned from Emily's house. Wysteria swallowed hard, giving her mother side glances as she bit her bottom lip. She had to say something. She had to ask. "You know." Wysteria said. "About everything." Her mother exhaled slowly as if she had been holding her breath this whole time.

"Yes, I knew." Her mother said.

"You knew about Sam? About my visions or dreams I thought I was having and you... Did nothing?"

"I... I didn't know what to do Wysteria. This has never happened before." Wysteria frowned as they continued to drive along.

"Jacob said the wolves haven't manifested for only a couple of generations."

"No, I'm not talking about that." Her mother said. Wysteria turned to look at her. "I'm talking about you. Nobody has seen anything like you since..." The words died in her mothers throat.

"Since?" Wysteria prompted.

"Since before America was discovered sweetheart." Wysteria swallowed hard, feeling slightly sick to her stomach.

"What... What am I?"

"They... We can explain it better tonight honey." Her mother said. Wysteria sighed. She just wished someone would tell her something concrete. Wysteria zoned out, biting her lip and almost didn't see the rust colored truck until they had nearly passed it. Wysteria whirled around to look at it and her mother looked at her startled.

"Turn around." Wysteria commanded. Her mother slowed the car down.

"What? Why?" Her mother asked, car idling in the middle of the road. There weren't any cars coming or going which was good but Wysteria didn't want to hesitate.

"That's Bella's truck back there." Wysteria said, pointing. What was Bella doing out here? Did she forget that Wysteria was coming over. Her mother slowly did a U-turn in the middle of the road and then came to park behind Bella's truck on the wet dirt just off the asphalt. Without even thinking, Wysteria jumped out of the car and began to run through the forest in search of Bella.