➴ sixty-four: THE FUTURE➴

〖 chapter lxiv: THE FUTURE 〗

"Hey squirt." Jacob said, nudging Seth so he could move down the bench. "Move off my girlfriend." 

"She was my cousin long before she was your girlfriend." Seth said, sticking out his tongue at Jacob, making Wysteria laugh. 

"Don't make me hurt you Clearwater." Jacob said.

"Oh stop it." Wysteria said, gripping Seth's chin with her thumb and forefinger. "Look at this little cutie. You'd hurt my baby cousin my love?" Wysteria said. Jacob smiled a little as Seth put on his best pouty face.

"Well, probably not now. My love? You've never called me that before?" Jacob said. Seth and some of his friends pretended to throw up. So did Quil and Embry. "Shut it." Jacob said in a commanding tone. Immediately all the boys shut up and Wysteria laughed.

"Don't use your alpha voice on them." She said in a low voice. That's something they found out that Jacob could do to the other Beta's even if they weren't in his pack. They all still obeyed an Alpha command from him. Though they were sort of no longer two packs anymore just a slowly combining pack now that there were no longer any "sides" to take.

"Can't help it." Jacob said with a cheeky grin that let Wysteria know he had done it on purpose. She rolled her eyes at her boyfriend before starting in on her lunch. 

It was a blustery October day on the Reservation, storm clouds rolling in from the oceanfront that wasn't Wysteria's doing for once. It had been a day much like this when Wysteria had first started school here and had gotten all those weird looks from the Elders of the tribe. Now she knew why they had looked at her like that but Wysteria smiled to herself as she remembered how scared she had been to start school here. It had all worked out in the end for her though and it was finally her senior year! Which, hopefully, wouldn't be as crazy as the senior year that Bella and her cousin Leah had had.

Although it had started out a bit crazy what with Bella being pregnant.

Wysteria still wasn't sure how she, Jacob and seth had managed to go to school that first month, AND try to protect Bella and the Cullen's from the rest of their pack. It had been easy at first, of course, before everyone else knew about Renesmee but it grew increasingly harder as the days progressed. Sometimes Wysteria would fall asleep at the Cullen's kitchen table doing homework and find that someone had finished all her pre-calculus or someone had finished writing her essay, neatly printing it and leaving it for her by her elbow. The Cullen's had always played it off, never saying who had helped her. 

Wysteria felt Jacob kiss her temple and she focused back in on the boys around her and on her boyfriend who was smiling a bit sadly. "You still want to head out to the cemetery after school?" Wysteria nodded.

"I haven't seen dad in a while." She said softly. Jacob nodded and kissed her temple again before cussing out Embry for stealing some of his food. Embry laughed.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☽ »⍟« ☾༓・* ˚⁺‧͙

Wysteria was listening to Jacob hum along to the song playing on the radio and she smiled to herself, shooting a quick reply back to Grace about what she was currently up to. She had kept in close contact with her Floridian best friend all throughout Bella's pregnancy and transformation. Grace didn't know about anything that was currently happening in Forks, Washington but it made Wysteria feel at ease talking to her abut all things mundane. It made her feel like a regular teenage girl, even if she wasn't. 

Jacob turned off the radio and reached for Wysteria's hand. She gladly accepted it's warmth and squeezed it tightly as they passed through the wrought iron gates for the Cemetery. The wind kicked up a little more as Jacob parked his car on the dirt road. They let go of one another briefly, coming back together in front of his car where Jacob laced their fingers together and squeezed tightly. "I love you." He said in a soft voice. Wysteria smiled at him.

"I love you too." Together the two of the made their way across the grassy lawn, weaving through headstones. Jacob often went with Wsyteria to see her father now-a-days. Before, Wysteria had sort of been too afraid to ask him to go with her, though she wasn't sure why. It was actually Jacob who prompted one day, not long after he imprinted, that they go together. 

"I know I never really knew him and don't really have memories of him but..." Jacob stopped. "I hope he would have approve of me." He said. Wysteria had smiled and pressed her forehead up against his.

"Jacob, he would have loved to see the man you are today." Wysteria had said. Jacob had kissed her cheek happily when she said this and that was the first day they had gone to visit him together. Now, Jacob always went with her. Their hands swayed between them lightly but slowed as they reached their destination. Jacob let go of Wysteria's hand and she continued forward to her father's headstone, brushing off some freshly cut grass and new autumn leaves. 

"Hi daddy." Wysteria said softly. Jacob's here again. Mom is fine, grandma too. Everything... Everything is actually going really well. Wysteria wished she could see her fathers spirit just once more. Just one more time. She had told Jacob of course about all the times she had seen him and he had listened intently to her and held her when she cried. The last time she had seen him had been especially painful. Sometimes she dreamed of that night and could feel his arms wrapped around her and hear him say,

The Spirits call for me.

That gave Wysteria hope that she would see him again. Wysteria wasn't sure how long she spent there bent over the grave and praying for her father before she felt a little pitter patter of rain on her shoulder. Wysteria looked up and for the first time realized that she was crying, the wide open sky matching her tears as a small drizzle came down around them. Jacob opened up an umbrella Wysteria didn't know he had and watched as he held his hand out for her. 

"Come on Little Red. Let's go home." Wysteria nodded.

Home. She liked the sound of that. 

A/N: Why was this kind of sad??? And a bit unnecessary??? Lol I know this part isn't that long but I wanted to write a brief school scene and this scene in the cemetery as part of like "Everything is coming together" sort of thing. Like Wysteria is no longer afraid of her future, the pack is no longer fighting amongst one another. The next part (which you'll read next week) will be a lot longer I promise and I'll talk more about the Cullen's and what they're going to do and the Epilogue for this story will also be SO MUCH LONGER. Hope you're all prepared! See you next week!