➴ four: ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY ➴

〖 chapter iv: ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY 〗

Wysteria was staring out the window of the plane

Wysteria was staring out the window of the plane. It was the first one she had ever been on but she wasn't scared. If anything, she was a little excited. The cities below looked like children's toys or scale models. In the seat next to Wysteria was her mother, head lolled to the side in a deep sleep.

Wysteria smiled at her mother lightly. In the past week, as she and Wysteria had been packing, talking to insure agents, landlords and funeral homes about the possibility of moving her father's body, Wysteria had begun to feel a strange closeness with her mother. It was a feeling she thought she would never acquire as of a couple weeks ago. Her mother was gentle, kind, and wanted to know everything about Wysteria and her father's lives in Florida.

"I... I'm sorry I never tried to get in touch with you after what happened with dad." Wysteria said one night over dinner. Her mother had made some traditional Quileute food. A stew with a name Wysteria couldn't say properly because she had never learned the Quileute language. Her mother had simply smiled.

"It's okay little bird. I doubt your father ever gave you his mother's number or my own." She said with a slight shake of her head. Wysteria was always surprised by what little resentment her mother had in her voice. With her father, his resentment towards the Quileute's and her mother was obvious.

"How did you find out about the funeral anyways?" Wysteria asked.  Her mother pursed her lips.

"I have often... Often feared over the years that... Something might happen to you or your father and I worried that if something did, I wouldnt know about it. You left when you were so young Wysteria and I knew you would never remember my name, much less my face." Wysteria looked down ar her food, feeling a bit anxious. "So I took up the habit of searching your father's name or your name with the word Florida attached." Wysteria smiled.

"Really?"

"Of course. Every time there was no news of you, I saw that as a good thing." She smiled. "Every now and then, there would be an article about something your father did with his work and once... I even saw a picture of you from two years ago." Wysteria looked up, surprised.