➴ six: JAYBIRD ➴

〖 chapter vi: JAYBIRD〗

"You look so much like your father Wysteria and your mother of course

"You look so much like your father Wysteria and your mother of course." Wysteria smiled a little at her grandma, slowly eating what her grandma had placed in front of her. She was already a little full from the sandwiches her and her mother had eaten not long ago but she knew it would be impolite to refuse food from your grandma. "Oh you're just so beautiful. I knew you would be from that photo your mother found of you." Wysteria gave her mom a look. She laughed lightly.

"Has everyone seen that photo of me? Mom, I saw that photo on the fridge. I look like a dork. I still had braces back then." Her mother shrugged.

"You were cute Wysteria and... Yes, I think everyone's seen that photo of you." Wysteria sighed. Great, her first impression at the Reservation had been of some geeky version of her with braces. Nobody was going to talk to her now. 

"It was always so good to hear any news about you and your father." Her grandmother said, smiling widely at Wysteria. "Even no news felt like good news sometimes." She said with a small sigh, getting a far away look in her eyes. Wysteria licked her lips and put her spoon down. She figured now was as good a time as any to get answers. Her mother was not at all how her father made her out to be and Wysteria wanted to know why. What had happened? Why did they leave?

"Why... Why did you and dad divorce?" The question made both women stiffen and Wysteria's mother wouldn't look at her. Wysteria pursed her lips anxiously but pressed forward. "Dad never told me why and I just wanna know mom." Her mother breathed in deeply and exhaled slowly before looking over at her.

"Well I don't know if there was one simple reason Wysteria but the short answer is... Your father and I got into a fight over what was best for you. He wanted to leave and... I wanted to stay here. He threatened divorce. He threatened to disappear with you. I never thought he was serious until... Until he came home with divorce papers one day."

"What was best for me? Why would he think leaving was what was best for me?" Her mother looked away again.

"You have to understand my dear. Your father was... Paranoid about several things. There are myths and superstitions that run deep in this community and one in particular your father was... Spooked by to say the least."  Wysteria frowned, eyebrows knitting together.