•𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊•

The sound of my phone buzzing broke me from my sleep

I sat up and rubbed at my eyes before glancing at the clock.

"4:38 am, who the hell could possible want something..." I groaned out.

The number was unknown and a small part of me wanted to decline but I shrugged it off and answered anyways.

"Hello?"  I sighed.

"Jay?" An all too familiar voice spoke.

Immediately all feelings of fatigue vanished when I heard that deep baritone.

"Clare!" I responded.

"Damn for a second I thought you weren't gonna pick up." He joked.

" oh my god—how are you, I thought that—," I couldn't even properly form a sentence I was so caught of guard.

"Yeah I know—but commander let me know that we get one phone call—whenever we use it is up to us." He explained.

I smiled to myself as I held back tears—I don't know why I was crying, I truly didn't—I just, I missed him.

"I missed you so much," I said lowly—sniffing.

"I miss you too, more than anything—but listen baby we only have 30 minutes," he revealed.

"Catch me up on everything, how you feeling, how are you dealing with everything, how's Jave." He asked

Once I composed myself I explained everything—the slight anxiety I had anytime I was alone, the adoption process, Javiers Nightmares—everything I was holding in, all that stress, I let it all out.

"I wish I was there man, I'm sorry." He said sincerely.

"It isn't your fault, there's nothing you can do." I nodded.

"Even if that's true—both of y'all need me, the least I could do is be in y'alls presence." He spoke.

"Not to mention I'm holding up this whole adoption shit." he sighed.

"Again—not your fault." I comforted.

He stayed silent since he knew I wasn't gonna let him blame himself verbally.

I wanted to tell him about my sister and Alyssa and how much of a mistake they felt I was making—but I decided to just leave it for when he got here, I wanted this call to do more than just make him feel bad.

"I'm thinking about getting a dog," I said randomly

"You like animals?"  He asked.

"I don't hate them—plus I feel like it'll help with the anxiety for when you aren't here and stuff." I said truthfully.

"Smart," he agreed.

"Any ideas?" I asked, "for the breed,"

"Pits are mad cool—get one of those." He suggested.