•𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝕺𝖓𝖊•

"Are you nervous at all, about school?" Destins light voice asked as we exited the gym

"Nah not really," I shrugged, speaking honestly.

"you're at a completely different school, in a completely different country and you aren't even slightly afraid ?" Destin asked in disbelief as we continued walking.

"No not really, I've been though too much shit to let petty comments or other stuff affect me." I spoke.

"Most of the stuff I've had to watch or endure, nobody my age could even think about." I shook my head.

"....like what?" he asked timidly, almost as if he was afraid he'd pushed a boundary.

And he somewhat did.

But I thought quick on my feet and deflected the question.

"I'm adopted, for one—and at sixteen, so it's not like I have no memory of my biological parents." I nodded.

"Do you miss them at all, your real parents?" He asked, looking at me sympathetically.

I was silent for a bit, then spoke, "my mom, I um—I miss her a lot."

My tone was low due to the topic still being sensitive. Though I tried to hide it, just thinking about her made me tear up.

"My biological father is nonexistent....."

Telling him who my father was would scare him off, I knew it would.

How would anyone react to someone telling them their father was one of the most wanted, feared men on the planet. Yeah he was incarcerated now, but that legacy he left, I didn't want that.

After that the tension was thick, I stopped talking and it became awkward between us.

He finally broke the silence and whispered, "im sorry for asking, I should—"

"you good." I waved him off, "my adoptive parents are amazing—both of em" I spoke, my tone instantly changing to a more positive one.

He nodded understandingly before speaking again, "Was it weird getting to know your adoptive parents?" He asked.

"well," I started, "at first our situation wasn't good so it was weird." I explained as best I could without giving away too much.

"But we built a great relationship and even though they're kinda young themselves, they've sacrificed so much for me already. I can't even explain how much they mean to me." I ranted.

"That's so nice." He spoke sincerely.

"I'm sure you're mom and dad love you just as much." He smiled.

"what?" He questioned, smirking shyly due to me staring at him.

"nothing, it's just—," I paused before shaking my head